Bulls lose in the Sweet Sixteen to South Carolina

Buffalo season over after setting new program benchmarks

<p>The&nbsp;Bulls come off the bench for a huddle. Buffalo’s season came to an end on Saturday in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament.</p>

The Bulls come off the bench for a huddle. Buffalo’s season came to an end on Saturday in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament.

The no.11 Bulls lost 79-63 to the no.2 South Carolina Gamecocks in the Sweet Sixteen round of the NCAA Tournament at the Times Union Center in Albany, New York Saturday. The game marked the first Sweet Sixteen appearance for the Buffalo program and the first time the Bulls played a reigning NCAA champ with last year’s winner, South Carolina.

Junior guard Cierra Dillard had her third straight twenty point-plus performance in the tournament Saturday afternoon with 29 points and six assist. Dillard was the only Bull to score in double digits. Sophomore forward Summer Hemphill left the game early due to foul trouble with only six points and three rebounds. Dillard, junior guard Autumn Jones and senior guard Stephanie Reid were the only Buffalo players to hit a three.

The Gamecocks got a sensational performance from pro-prospect, senior forward A’Ja Wilson, who had 20 points and 13 rebounds. South Carolina had a better time shooting against the Bulls than most teams this season shooting 30-for-59. This was the Bulls’ first double digit loss since September.The game marked Buffalo’s third straight season setting the programs’ wins in a season record, this year at 29. The Bulls will play next in November for the the 2018 non-conference season.

Sports Desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com.