Buffalo wins second NCAA Tournament game

Bulls keep dancing into the Sweet Sixteen

<p>Senior guard Stephanie Reid looks for the layup in the crowded paint. The Bulls made program history Monday securing the team's first appearance in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament.&nbsp;</p>

Senior guard Stephanie Reid looks for the layup in the crowded paint. The Bulls made program history Monday securing the team's first appearance in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament. 

No.11 Buffalo continued its historic season Monday night when they beat the no.3 Florida State Seminoles 86-65. This marked the program’s first birth to the Sweet Sixteen coming off its first appearance in the round of 32. It was a team effort as all of Buffalo’s starters had 10 points or more.

Junior forward Summer Hemphill had her best game of the tournament with 17 points and 11 rebounds where she shot 75 percent from the court. Junior guard Cierra Dillard wasn't hot shooting, but had a team high 22 points and seven rebounds. Dillard got the bulk of her points from the free throw line going 9-for-10. Senior guard Stephanie Reid had an out-of-character seven turnovers, a season high and two assists. Reid made up for it having 18 points.

The Seminoles relied on their starters only playing seven players and struggled shooting all game going 23-for-68. The Bulls will now head to Albany for the next round of the tournament. Buffalo will play the no.2 South Carolina Gamecocks in the Sweet Sixteen on Saturday.

Sports Desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com