A change of seasons: The Spectrum’s March Playlist

A collection of tracks to navigate through the transition into warmer weather

<p>Editors at <em>The Spectrum</em> chose tracks to shake off the snow and welcome spring.</p>

Editors at The Spectrum chose tracks to shake off the snow and welcome spring.

While the cold weather may not want to let up, spring is on the horizon. With warmer weather comes a change of pace in every facet, from clothing to daily routines. Music is no different.

For the transition into spring, the editors at The Spectrum picked their favorite tracks for the change of climate.

Janelle Monáe - “Make Me Feel”

Janelle Monáe, the singer, actress and model, is seeking to forge new ground with her ensuing full-length LP “Dirty Computer.” Monae has labeled the project an “emotion picture,” a phrase first unveiled in the album trailer released on Feb. 16.

“Make Me Feel” illustrates a funk-driven beat, reminiscent of the “Purple Rain” heyday of Prince and The Revolution. The track quickly jumps into an orchestration supported by keyboards and a heavy bassline throughout the chorus, giving the listener an upbeat track that’s sure to get you moving.

DAISY - “Way Cool Baby Love”

Melodic and relaxing, “Way Cool Baby Love” offers a soft orchestration that combines melodic piano melodies, soft drums and a stellar vocal performance from lead singer Daisy Hamel-Buffa.

Taken from the debut EP “Smoke About It,” “Way Cool Baby Love” is a track that mixes up any playlist with a blend of slowed down rhythm and hypnotic vocals that suck in the listener from start to finish.

Alex Lahey - “Every Day’s the Weekend”

Combining hard-hitting drums and a raunchy guitar riff, Australian Alex Lahey looks to make a statement with “Every Day’s the Weekend.”

The track is a true rocker in every sense. It’s hard to stray away from the upbeat tempo that reaches its pinnacle throughout the chorus with additional guitars and a heavy bassline, supported by a wave of crash cymbals.

If you’re looking for a great start to your morning this spring, try “Every Day’s the Weekend.”

Santana - “Maria Maria”

Guitar virtuoso Carlos Santana has never been one to shy away from stepping out of the box. From collaborating with Rob Thomas on “Smooth” to the Product G&B on “Maria Maria,” Santana brings forth an element of creativity and signature guitar hooks that elevate each track he plays on.

From the opening nylon string guitar melody to the solo following the chorus, Santana finds a way to incorporate a steady stream of sounds that find commonality as well as immense change as he moves past each note.

Future - “March Madness”

Adding to an already respected body of work, “March Madness” sets the tone for any situation necessitating a raised sense of morale. The platinum selling single was an immense smash for Future in 2015, taken from the mixtape “56 Nights.”

Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey - “The Middle”

With bombastic and grandiose production, “The Middle” plays to the tendencies of pop music today, but in a more creative and original outlet.

The track peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and has been a massive smash for Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey.

With a focus on orchestrating a primarily pop-oriented sound with sparse spots of electronica, “The Middle” has even more to boast about with a delightful vocal performance from Morris, embodying every syllable and driving the track forward with each snare drum hit.

Taylor Swift - “Delicate”

Coming off an impressive year in 2017, Taylor Swift finds a way to forge new ground in popular music. Her most recent offering, “reputation,” topped the charts in 11 countries and achieved over 1 million sales in its first week of release.

“Delicate” shows Swift in a more vulnerable place than others on “reputation,” opening with a vocoder that Swift uses to split her voice into chords, Swift said in a making-of video.

The track illuminates the range of melodies Swift plays between vocally, while also offering a catchy hook and bassline that set the stage for a quick hi-hat throughout the middle section of the song.

Lucy Dacus - “Night Shift”

On her sophomore release, “Historian,” songwriter Lucy Dacus finds a new voice, walking a thin line between loss and sadness, often relying on soft, catchy guitar hooks that play off of her vocals.

“Night Shift” is no different. The track opens with a somber guitar accompanied by an increasingly powerful vocal performance from Dacus, setting the stage for a delicate and consistent set of drums that keep the track level in a stream of quiet melodies.

Run The Jewels - “Get It”

Finding a more interesting and politically savvy rap duo than Run The Jewels is a daunting task.

On “Get It,” the duo sticks to its guns with an opening verse by El-P immediately followed by a laid-back verse by Killer Mike. With a heavy bass line and hard-hitting snare drums and cymbals, “Get It” is the right fit for any occasion this coming spring.

Oasis - “Morning Glory”

With a mix of heavy drums and loud guitars, “Morning Glory” finds Oasis exploring a tumultuous journey through drug use and addiction.

“Morning Glory” opens with a loud helicopter effect, followed by a stream of loud guitars from Noel Gallagher that leads into heavy drums and an exceptional vocal performance from younger brother Liam Gallagher.

“Morning Glory” is suitable for any occasion and is loud enough to shake or create any mood.

Brian Evans is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at brian.evans@ubspectrum.com and @BrianEvansSpec.

BRIAN EVANS

Brian Evans is a senior English major and The Spectrum's senior arts editor.

brian.jpg