The Bulls’ silver lining

UB track and field collects four medals at indoor MAC championships

<p>Senior Mitchell Moore runs down the track. Moore was part of the Bulls 4x400 relay at the indoor MAC championships.</p>

Senior Mitchell Moore runs down the track. Moore was part of the Bulls 4x400 relay at the indoor MAC championships.

Selina Von Jackowski left Saturday’s Mid-American Conference championships with a school record and a silver medal. The junior’s time of 8.40 seconds on the 60-meter hurdles beat the previous school record of 8.44 that stood for five years.

Von Jackowski and the Bulls track and field team were in Bowling Green, Ohio over the weekend for the MAC indoor track and field championships. Buffalo medaled in four events, including three silvers and a bronze. In total, seven Bulls came home with hardware. The men and women both came up short in the team scores, with the men getting fifth out of five teams and the women coming in ninth out of the 12 MAC schools.

The tournament took place on Friday and Saturday with the Bulls picking up two medals on each day.

Senior Jess Dhaliwall secured the first medal for the women on Friday when she picked up bronze in the weight throw. She set a personal record with a top throw of 20.16 meters.

The men secured their first medal on Friday as well, collecting silver in the distance medley. The team of junior Jack Jibb, sophomore Chimaobi Ezeilo, freshman Patrick Hazlitt and junior Dan Muldoon finished with a time of 10:11.25; almost a full second faster than their previous season-best and seed-time of 10:12.03.

Friday’s other standout performance was senior Martine Bye. She finished just short of the podium in the pentathlon, coming in fourth with 3632 points. She was first in the high jump and third in the shot put during the pentathlon.

Von Jackowski opened up Saturday by winning her medal, finishing just .09 seconds behind the first place finisher.

The men’s second medal came in the 800-meter. Sophomore Leon Atkins finished with a time of 1:54.04. Senior Thomas Meehan qualified for the finals of the event as well and came in seventh.

Eastern Michigan won the title for both the men and women, and its women’s team had more than double the points of the second place school.

The Bulls saw six athletes named to all-MAC squads after the event. The men had Atkins, Ezeilo, Hazlitt, Jibb and Muldoon all selected to the all-MAC second team. Von Jackowski was the lone selection for the women, earning second-team all-MAC honors.

Daniel Petruccelli is the sports editor and can be reached at daniel.petruccelli@ubspectrum.com.

@DanP_Spectrum