Bulls clinch MAC East division

Win over Bowling Green guarantees a top-2 seed in upcoming tournament

<p>Junior guard Cierra Dillard defends against a shooter. Dillard had 10 points and 7 assist against Bowling Green Wednesday.&nbsp;</p>

Junior guard Cierra Dillard defends against a shooter. Dillard had 10 points and 7 assist against Bowling Green Wednesday. 

With their win against the Bowling Green Falcons on Wednesday, the Bulls have won the Mid-American Conference East division for the first time since joining the conference in 1998.

The 88-67 win at the Stroh Center Wednesday night is Buffalo’s sixth win in a row.

Senior center Cassie Oursler led the game in both scoring and boards having 20 points and 12 rebounds. This marked Oursler’s fourth double-double in her last five games. Junior guard Cierra Dillard also had a strong night with 10 points and 7 assists. None of the Bulls starters played more than 25 minutes.

The Bulls held the lead in the early portions with the score 26-17 heading into the second period. Buffalo shot consistently the whole game, shooting 32-62. The Bulls outscored the Falcons (10-16, 2-13 MAC) 19-10 and made it a 45-27 game heading into the third period.

The Bulls stayed strong on offense all night, but Bowling Green found the basket more in the second half. It still wasn’t enough as the Bulls outscored the Falcons 43-40 in the last two periods combined. The Falcons’ best scorer and rebounder Saturday night was sophomore guard Andrea Cecil who had team highs of 10 points and 5 rebounds.

The Bulls play their next game this Saturday against the Ohio Bobcats (15-11, 9-6 MAC) at Alumni Arena with tipoff set for 1 p.m.

Thomas Zafonte is the senior sports editor and can be reached at  thomas.zafonte@ubspectrum.com .

THOMAS ZAFONTE

Thomas Zafonte is a senior English major. He is a UB sports fan and enjoys traveling around Buffalo. 

Tom.jpg