Athletic Director Allen Greene to leave UB

Greene will become the AD of Auburn University

<p>Allen Greene has been named the new Director of Athletics for Auburn University. Greene leaves UB after serving in the same position for the Bulls for just over two years.</p>

Allen Greene has been named the new Director of Athletics for Auburn University. Greene leaves UB after serving in the same position for the Bulls for just over two years.

Allen Greene will be leaving UB to become the athletic director at Auburn University beginning in February. Greene has been the athletic director for Buffalo since November 2015 and served as an associate athletic director prior to that, under his predecessor, Danny White.

"Serving Auburn University as Director of Athletics is a tremendous honor and an awesome responsibility," Greene said in a statement on auburntigers.com "... I am humbled that [Auburn] President Leath and the Search Committee entrust me to maintain all that is uniquely Auburn and utilize that foundation to forge a path to even greater heights."

Greene will be taking control of a football program that finished no. 10 in the nation after a loss in the Peach Bowl to White and his UCF Knights. The Tigers season also included a victory over the national champion Alabama Crimson Tide. The Basketball program is also currently ranked no. 17.

Green oversaw four Mid-American Conference championships in his time in Buffalo and saw both the men’s and women’s basketball team appear in the NCAA tournament. The football team also reached bowl eligibility this season for the first since Greene became athletic director. He also was responsible for breaking ground on the Murchie Family field house.

“While we are sorry to see Allen leave UB and Western New York, I speak for our entire UB community—and for Bulls fans everywhere—when I say how grateful we are for his exemplary leadership and success in elevating UB’s Athletics Department,” President Tripathi said in a email to the university community on Jan. 18.

Buffalo will now begin the search for a new athletic director. The university declined further comment.

Daniel Petruccelli is the sports editor and can be reached at daniel.petruccelli@ubspectrum.com