News briefs

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

Campus

IBM awards UB computer scientists grant to develop energy efficient electronics

IBM has awarded UB computer scientists Tevfik Kosar and Murat Demirbas $75,000 to create software that reduces the energy consumption of computers through IBM’s Open Collaboration Research program, according to a UB news release. The research project called “GreenDataFlow” focuses on reducing power consumption in both hardware and software on Internet connected devices.

This energy reduction would automatically be built in to existing software such as Safari and Firefox so users would not have to download new software to get the energy reduction benefits. In preliminary trials, GreenDataFlow reduced energy consumption by 80 percent per device.

UB alum founds Montessori preschool in Clarence

UB alumna Anna Liuzzo has opened a preschool called “Roots of the Future,” a Montessori school for children ages two and a half to six. Liuzzo wanted to open a Montessori school because the Montessori approach caters to children’s different learning styles. She felt public schools didn’t take into account a child’s full development.

The Montessori philosophy holds that children are naturally curious and learn best in a “free-range” environment and takes into account not only cognitive but also physical, social, cognitive and emotional development.

Local

Sherman man charged with second-degree manslaughter after he fatally shot neighbor

Thomas B. Jadlowski, the 34-year-old Sherman native accused of fatally shooting his neighbor after mistaking her for a deer was charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter on Thursday, according to the New York Times.

Billquist, 43, had been walking her dogs in a field near her home when she was hit by a bullet fired by Jadlowski, according to Chautauqua County officials. Jadlowski was also charged with hunting after legal hours in the Nov. 22 death of Rosemary Billquist.

Jadlowski could face a prison sentence of five to 15 years if found guilty.

Arrest made in connection with toys stolen from local church

Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connection with the recent theft of over $100 in donated toys from St. Lawrence church on East Delavan. The toys were supposed to be Christmas gifts for refugee children.

The toys were stolen early Thursday morning before mass, police told WIVB. Church members said the doors were unlocked because of mass.

The suspect, 37-year-old Cecil Hollingsworth, is in police custody.

National

CVS buys Aetna in $65 billion deal

Drugstore chain CVS Health has reportedly bought major health insurance company Aetna for $65 billion, according to The New York Times. The transaction is a historically unprecedented move, blurring the lines between traditionally separate spheres in the health insurance market.

Amazon is a major force behind the move, The Times reported. Amazon has moved into one industry after the next, and has been making preliminary movements into the pharmacy industry. Aetna and CVS worked for months to reach this deal under the threat of Amazon overturning the healthcare industry.

Trump lashes out at FBI over Twitter

President Donald Trump took aim at the Federal Bureau of Investigation over Twitter on Sunday. In a series of tweets, Trump wrote, “After years of Comey, with the phony and dishonest Clinton investigation (and more), running the FBI, its reputation is in Tatters - worst in History! But fear not, we will bring it back to greatness.”

Trump’s tweet comes after a weekend of developments in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into alleged Russian influence in the U.S. presidential election. Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion between his campaign and Russia.

His Twitter spree also seized on recent reports that Mueller dismissed an FBI officer from the investigation last summer, after discovering he had texted “anti-Trump” messages, tweeting, “Report: “ANTI-TRUMP FBI AGENT LED CLINTON EMAIL PROBE” Now it all starts to make sense! [sic]”

Global

UK social mobility committee quits, citing lack of progress under conservative Tory rule

All four board members of the UK’s Social Mobility Commission have resigned in protest of the government’s inaction toward inequality, according to the BBC. The commission’s purpose is to monitor government progress in “freeing children from poverty and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential.”

Ex-Labor Minister and commission chair Alan Milburn, does not believe current government could make necessary progress, he said in his resignation letter to Prime Minister Theresa May. The board members said the government is too focused on the Brexit issue to meaningfully address social mobility.

President of Afghanistan apologizes for offending women over headscarf comment

Ashraf Ghani, president of Afghanistan, issued an apology for a statement he made Saturday, in response to accusations of ties to the Islamic State Group. Ghani had said that accusers should either offer proof or wear a woman’s headscarf, according to the BBC. Ghani immediately received backlash for his remarks which many deemed as offensive for referring to a woman’s headscarf as a sign of shame.

Ghani apologized soon after, saying his remarks were misinterpreted and he never meant to offend women. The phrase is a popular saying in the country and was not meant to disparage women, he said.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com