Andrea Costantino pays back stolen funds, avoids jail sentence

Former UB administrator receives three-year conditional probation

Former UB Director of Campus Living, Andrea Costantino, has been sentenced to three-year conditional discharge.

Costantino pleaded guilty to stealing more than $14,000 from university accounts for personal use in October. She has paid back her $14,664 in restitution.

In lieu of jail time, Judge John Michalski sentenced Costantino to a three-year conditional probation. If she breaks the law during the period, she will go to jail. She must also complete 250 hours of community service.

“Today’s sentencing closed one chapter of a sordid scheme against taxpayers and required the defendant pay back every penny she stole,” Inspector General Leahy Scott said in a statement. “Both of these former top administrators selfishly violated the trust of the public and the students they served.”

Former UB Vice President Dennis Black pleaded guilty to two felony charges on Sept. 7 after stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from a university bank account. He will pay back $320,000 in restitution to UB. Black is scheduled for sentencing on Jan. 10 and could face five to 15 years in prison.

“Throughout these legal proceedings, we have had confidence in the judicial process,” a university statement read. “We are pleased that the judicial process has come to a resolution in this case and that restitution to New York State has been made as part of the defendant’s guilty plea.”

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.