News briefs

What to know locally, nationally and globally

Campus:

UB to host Halloween party in the UB Downtown Gateway building

UB’s Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) and Patient Voices Network is hosting a Halloween party from 1-4 p.m. on Oct. 28 in the UB Downtown Gateway building. The party’s theme is “Tricks, Treats and Discoveries” and is free to families living near the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, according to UBNow.

The party will have a “Cookie Clinical Trial” demonstration that will educate participants about clinical trials; an “I Put a Spell on You and Now You’re Under My Microscope” station, where participants can create their own slides and use microscopes; and life-size skeleton puzzle that teaches basic anatomy, according to UBNow.

Miró Quartet to perform at UB

The Miró Quartet will perform in Lippes Concert Hall in Slee Hall on UB North Campus on Nov. 3 at 7:30 p.m. A reception with the artists will follow the performance in the Slee lobby. This marks the fourth consecutive year the quartet has returned to Buffalo. The group will perform at Williamsville North High School on Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. and features students from each of the three Williamsville high schools, according to UBNow.

Tickets are available for $14 at the Center for the Arts, open 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Friday or $17 at the door.

Local:

Roughly 8,000 attend local police officers funeral

Police estimated 8,000 people attended Buffalo police Officer Craig E. Lehner’s funeral on Wednesday at the KeyBank Center. Shield, Officer Lehner’s K-9 dog, attended the service and stood close to Lehner’s casket. Officer Lehner disappeared during a police dive team training exercise on Oct. 13 and his body was recovered on Oct. 17, according to The Buffalo News.

Lehner was buried at Forest Lawn cemetery shortly after 2 p.m., according to The Buffalo News.

New Albright-Knox-Gundlach Art Museum expansion expected to take over 2 years

Janne Sirén, director of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, offered an estimated timeline of “two to two-and-a-half years” for the Albright-Knox expansion. The expansion has an estimated budget of $155 million and is expected to start construction in 2019. The gallery has raised almost $122 million of its $155 million goal, according to The Buffalo News.

National:

Five Michigan teens charged with second-degree murder

A group of five teenage boys, aged 15-17, are accused of throwing a six-pound rock over an overpass, killing a 32-year-old on Oct. 18. The teens are being charged with second-degree murder. The maximum penalty is life in prison, according to CNN.

Kenneth White, the 32-year-old, was a passenger riding home from work when the rock struck him in the face, head and chest, according to CNN.

Houston Astros win game two of the World Series

Houston Astros won game two of the World Series 7-6 Wednesday night. The Houston Astros have never won a World Series before tonight, winning in an 11-inning showdown in California. They have only played in the World Series once before against the Chicago White Sox, in 2005. The LA Dodgers have not won a World Series since 1988, according to BBC.

Global:

Kenya ramps up security amidst impending election re-run

Kenya will hold a re-run election this Thursday, Oct. 26. President Uhuru Kenyatta won a second term in August, but the Supreme Court nullified the election results amidst charges of irregularities, according to BBC. The country has dealt with tension since the election; more than 70 people died in violent clashes.

Kenyatta is urging his supporters to vote. His opponent, Raila Odinga, has urged his voters to stay peaceful and avoid violence, but to disrupt the vote. Odinga feels the elections committee did not do enough to ensure this re-run is fair and transparent.

EU Parliament tackles sexual harassment

EU Parliament members held up placards reading, “#MeToo” in solidarity with victims during a conversation on sexual assault and harassment on Oct. 25. Several female MEPs shared stories of sexual harassment, prompting members of the European Parliament to ask for an external investigation into sexual harassment at the institution, according to BBC.

The letter is addressed to the Antonio Tajani, president of the European Parliament. It asks for the creation of a special committee on sexual harassment and for legal and medical support to be provided to victims.