UB Athletics' top 10 moments of April

<p>The men’s soccer team celebrates after a game. The men’s soccer team was one of four teams cut last month.</p>

The men’s soccer team celebrates after a game. The men’s soccer team was one of four teams cut last month.

10. Softball team wins home opener

After two months on the road, the Bulls (8-43, MAC 3-18) played their first home game of the season on April 9, beating the Western Michigan Broncos (21-25, MAC 9-12) in extra innings. After a tied score of 3-3 at the end of seventh, sophomore infielder Catrell Robertson hit a walk-off solo home run in the ninth inning to get the 4-3 win.

9. Jesse Owens Invitational

On April 21 and 22, the Bulls Track and Field team competed in the Jesse Owens invitational. The Bulls finished within the top ten in many of the events, with freshman discus thrower Sam Wray receiving first place in men’s discus throw with a distance of 49.57 meters.

8. John Kling signs with Washington Redskins

Former UB offensive lineman John Kling signed a free agent contract with the Washington Redskins on April 7. Kling signed with the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent last year but was cut from the team before the season began.

7. Jordan Johnson signs with Bills

Former UB running back Jordan Johnson signed an undrafted free agent contract with the hometown Buffalo Bills right after the draft.

Johnson had 1,040 yards rushing on 200 carries this past season.

6. Vinny Mallaro sets program record with nine RBIs

UB senior designated hitter Vinny Mallaro changed the game on April 15. Mallaro had two home runs and nine RBI in a 21-20 loss to Toldeo.

Mallaro is hitting .331 this season with 7 home runs and 25 RBI.

5. Mason Shrek gets drafted by Bengals

Former UB tight End Mason Schreck was drafted in the seventh round of the 2017 NFL draft by the Cincinnati Bengals on April 29.

Schreck was selected with 251 pick, after receiving for 1120 yards in his four years as a Bull.

4. Desmond Green wins UFC debut

Former UB wrestler Desmond Green won his UFC debut against Josh Emmett on April 8 at UFC 210 in the Keybank Center.

The win was the culmination of Green’s professional MMA career that started in 2012 after he left UB in the fall 2011. The win over Emmett marks Green’s twentieth career win and extended his current winning streak to five.

Green is currently still signed to the UFC, scheduling for his next fight.

3. Women's tennis wins MAC Championship

The women’s tennis team (14-8, MAC 5-3) won the MAC women’s tennis championship on April 30th, beating the Miami(OH) Redhawks (12-12, MAC 5-3) 4-2. This marks the Bulls first MAC championship since 2008 and the first under current head coach Kristen Maines.

2. Men’s Tennis wins MAC Championships

On April 29, the Bulls men’s tennis team (14-5, MAC 7-0) won the MAC men’s tennis championships against the Western Michigan Broncos (16-8, MAC 6-1). The win was hard earned as the Bulls trailed 3-1 but were able to win the final three single matches to get the 4-3 win. This marks the fifth MAC championship under head coach Lee Nickell.

1. UB Athletics cuts four teams, effective after this semester

UB Athletics announced on April 3 that they would be cutting the women’s rowing, baseball, men’s swimming and diving and the men’s soccer team. The cuts saved $2 million from the budget, according to a University press release.

120 student athletes were affected by the cuts.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com