The Grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

Whether you have a taste in conscious rap or death-metal, there’s something for everyone that’s only a short drive away. Stick around Queen City and kick back with a few friends at some of these marvelous musical offerings.

Tuesday, Oct. 11

Blackalicious – Iron Works

Conscious rap duo Blackalicious will be spitting mindful bars come Tuesday night. Best known for their song “Alphabet Aerobics,” the West Coast pair is fronted by wordplay mastermind, Gift of Gab.

Both Gab and accompanying producer DJ Xcel are responsible for Blazing Arrow, one of the more cohesive rap albums of the early 2000s. The combined abilities of beats and words are something great to behold live.

Joining the two will be Lushlife, a fluid rapper and producer from Philly who has worked with underappreciated rappers like Elzhi and Shad. If you’re a self-proclaimed hip-hop head, witnessing these skillful artists rock the stage should be first on your agenda.

Tuesday, Oct. 11

Hatebreed – Town Ballroom

Metalcore band Hatebreed will be storming into the Town Ballroom this week. The beat down band is brutal to the bone, with their crowds forming intense mosh pits over their 22-year career.

Hatebreed is touring to promote their latest LP The Concrete Confessional which exhibits the band’s aggressive punkish metal sound.

The group will be joined by fellow metal bands DevilDriver and Devil You Know, which will greater amplify the evening at Buffalo’s notable music venue. If you need to get rid of all that pent up aggression over class, be sure to rage out to these hard-hitting rock stars.

Wednesday, Oct. 12

Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox – Center for the Arts

Providing a vintage twist on popular music, YouTube sensation Postmodern Jukebox is headed to North Campus on Wednesday.

The group is an Internet sensation, with Scott Bradlee leading the rotating music ensemble. Former American Idol contestants Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrahams are among the many notable guests the group has had.

Most famous for their covers of pop songs such as “All About That Bass,” Postmodern Jukebox gives an old-school glamour to a new-school sound. Be certain to give this wonderful collective a search online and you’ll be hooked before the show.

Friday, Oct. 14

Bria Skonberg – Center for the Arts

Canadian jazz artist Bria Skonberg will be performing on Friday night. Skonberg is fresh off the release of her brand new album BRIA, the jazz musician does it all from singing to playing the trumpet.

Skonberg has toured the world exhibiting what makes her hot memorable jazz style. A lively evening will be in order on North Campus that’ll be full of coolness, so don’t miss out.

Saturday, Oct. 15

Chali 2na & Naughty Professor – Iron Works

Wrapping up the week in Buffalo music will be Chali 2na and Naughty Professor. Chali 2na, former member of the alt-rap group Jurassic 5, has one of the better baritone voices in all of hip-hop.

Chali 2na played a crucial vocal role in albums like Quality Control and on songs like “Great Expectations” and “The Influence,” The MC’s splendid prose was the highlight of many of Jurassic 5’s tracks.

Backing Chali 2na will be Naughty Professor, a jazzy style group out of New Orleans who is sure to bring the funk. The instrumentalist soulful band is under-the-radar in terms of popularity but those who have seen them live can attest to their impressive live performances. Don’t take a pass on this combination of spectacular musicians come Saturday night. 

Benjamin Blanchet is an arts staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.