UB placed on federal government’s sexual assault watch list

University under investigation after sexual assault was reported

UB is currently on a federal sexual assault watch list along with roughly 200 colleges across the nation, according to a UB press statement released on Aug. 11.

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) began investigating “a complaint of discrimination” after an allegation of an on-campus sexual assault was made on May 12, 2016.

The university is prohibited from issuing a statement due to compliance with the Clery Act.

The university must issue a UB Alert when there is a “significant” emergency that involves an immediate threat to the campus community, according to UB Spokesperson John Della Contrada. A UB Alert was not issued after the sexual assault was reported.

“The University at Buffalo takes its responsibilities on the issue of sexual assaults on campus very seriously,” Della Contrada said in the press release. “Nothing is more important than the safety and welfare of our students.”

The university’s placement on the list does not indicate the institution has violated any law, according to the press release.

UB currently conducts Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Response programs to inform students and support survivors of sexual misconduct.

Hannah Stein is the co-senior news editor and can be reached at hannah.stein@ubspectrum.com. Follow her on Twitter at @HannahJStein.