Climbing the ladder

Undefeated UB men’s soccer team ranks just outside this week’s NSCAA Coaches top 25 poll

<p>Senior midfielder Brandon Scales dribbles past a Niagara defender last season. The Bulls will play Niagara University Thursday night seeking their seventh consecutive victory to open the season.</p>

Senior midfielder Brandon Scales dribbles past a Niagara defender last season. The Bulls will play Niagara University Thursday night seeking their seventh consecutive victory to open the season.

UB’s men’s soccer team (6-0-0) continues to prove that not only are they one of the best teams in the Mid-American Conference, but they’re also one of the best in the entire country.

The latest NSCAA Coaches top 25 poll released this Tuesday has the Bulls ranked just outside of the top 25. Buffalo accumulated 51 total points for the top 25, just 10 points behind No. 25 Stanford. No team outside of the top 25 received more votes for inclusion than Buffalo.

This is the highest ranking Buffalo has received in the NSCAA poll since 2005, when they ranked No. 20 following a 10-1-0 start to the season. The Bulls are one of only three teams in the country to win six games so far this season, alongside Notre Dame and Syracuse, who rank first and fifth in this week’s poll respectively.

As a team, Buffalo leads the country in goals scored (18) and points (55) and ranks second in goals against average (GAA) (.16), having allowed just one goal in six games. Charlotte University is the only team Buffalo trails in GAA and the only team that has yet to allow a goal this season. However, Charlotte has played just three games so far compared to Buffalo’s six.

Senior forward Russell Cicerone leads the bulls and currently leads the country in goals scored (8), total points (21), shots per game (5.67) and shots on goal per game (3.0).

The Bulls will play their next game Thursday night when they travel to Niagara University. 

*all stats as of Sept. 13.

Micheal Akelson is the senior sports editor and can be reached at michael.akelson@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @mikeakelson