Around town: Buffalo events that won’t break the bank

<p>The Music is Art festival started in Buffalo in 2003 and will be held in Delaware Park on Sept. 10.&nbsp;There will be a surplus of food trucks, vendors and activities throughout the entire day.&nbsp;</p>

The Music is Art festival started in Buffalo in 2003 and will be held in Delaware Park on Sept. 10. There will be a surplus of food trucks, vendors and activities throughout the entire day. 

The second week of classes is finished and you’re likely stressing over due dates already. A great way to take your mind off of schoolwork is to get off campus and explore Buffalo. Take a study break with these exciting events that won’t break the bank.

14th Annual Music Is Art Festival

Saturday, Sept. 10 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. - Delaware Park - Free

Explore one of Buffalo’s most artistically diverse events, featuring over 100 bands on eight stages and over 100 artists. The festival started in 2003 by Goo Goo Dolls’ bassist Robby Takac, who was born in Buffalo.

There will be a surplus of food trucks, vendors and activities throughout the entire day to supplement your dose of local talent.

Amongst the local artists and musicians will be big-named Buffalo bands The Tins, Cute Is What We Aim For and The French Quarter Hounds.

Canalside Walking History Tour

Sunday, Sept.11 from 1-2 p.m. – Canalside – Free but reservations are encouraged

Buffalo is rich in history, so learning about the revolutionary Erie Canal and Buffalo’s historic red light district at the waterfront on Sunday before it gets too cold to stay outside.

This tour of Buffalo’s past will teach you about the city’s rich history as an industrial town and a major stop on the Erie Canal.

It’s a great time to visit downtown since the waterfront is in the process of being revitalized into a modern hangout spot for people of all ages. Canalside hosts events including concerts, food truck events and festivals.

Food Truck Tuesdays

Tuesday Sept. 13 from 5 - 8 p.m. - Larkin Square - Free

Since Buffalo’s first food truck came to be – the Lloyd Taco truck in 2010 – the amount of food trucks in the city has multiplied exponentially.

Buffalo is known for being a great food city and there’s no better event to experience the range of good food than at Food Truck Tuesdays.

The weekly event has 27 different food trucks and free live music by Leroy Townes. You’re sure to see why this recently run-down section of Buffalo is being reborn.

Festival of India

Saturday, Sept. 17 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. - Free

The Festival of India, sponsored by the India Association of Buffalo, offers a taste of authentic Indian culture and cuisine.

The event will feature many different Indian foods, arts and crafts, henna, live music and more.

Buffalo Comicon

Saturday Sept. 17 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. - Buffalo Niagara Convention Center - $12 day pass, $21 weekend pass

Buffalo Comicon is the largest and longest running comic convention in the city and also hosts the biggest cosplay contest.

The event, which lasts all weekend, will feature a dealer’s room, several contests, video games, celebrity guests and more.

Some of the guests attending are world-renowned artists and actors, including Steve Guttenberg, Mike Zeck, Steve Rude and Graham Nolan.

Andrew Safe is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com