Quarterback Chris Merchant set to transfer from UB

Rising sophomore quarterback is leaving UB

<p>Buffalo football rising sophomore quarterback Chris Merchant (No. 12)&nbsp;will be transferring out of the program. It is unclear just yet where Merchant will be transferring to, but it’s rumored to be the University of Western Ontario.</p>

Buffalo football rising sophomore quarterback Chris Merchant (No. 12) will be transferring out of the program. It is unclear just yet where Merchant will be transferring to, but it’s rumored to be the University of Western Ontario.

Buffalo football rising sophomore quarterback Chris Merchant will be transferring out of the program, UB Athletics confirmed with The Spectrum on Thursday.

It is unclear just yet where Merchant will be transferring to, but it’s rumored to be the University of Western Ontario. Merchant, a Calgary native, was rated the No. 1 quarterback prospect in all of Canada as a high school senior, but has just one pass attempt in his UB career thus far.

He was one of three quarterbacks competing to replace graduated quarterback Joe Licata for the starting job, but Thursday’s news narrows down the competition. The competition is now down to senior Iowa State transfer Grant Rohach and redshirt freshman Tyree Jackson.

Rohach played in nine games in his career for the Cyclones. Jackson has never officially taken a snap at the Division I level.

Michael Akelson is the senior sports editor and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com