UB Bulls quick hits: baseball gets swept, softball heats up, football fast approaches

<p>Senior Pablo Alvarez gets ready to return a ball during a match at the Miller Tennis Center. The men's tennis team is preparing for its regular season finale before the MAC Tournament.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Pablo Alvarez gets ready to return a ball during a match at the Miller Tennis Center. The men's tennis team is preparing for its regular season finale before the MAC Tournament. 

Softball (14-27, 8-6 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls dominated their weekend series with Bowling Green (16-27, 4-10 MAC) at Nan Harvey Field. They outscored the Falcons 28-8 over the course of three games. Freshman catcher Katie Weimer homered in both games of Saturday’s double-header.

The team won three straight games after going on a three-game skid just a week prior. Buffalo is tied for the second-best conference record in the MAC East with Kent State (25-15, 8-5 MAC).

Softball will travel to Kent State for a three game series this weekend.

Women’s tennis (12-7, 4-3 MAC)

Buffalo split a pair of road matches this weekend, as it defeated Northern Illinois (6-12, 1-5 MAC) 5-2 Friday in a match played in Toledo, Ohio and fell to Akron (14-9, 4-3) 4-3 on Saturday at the Outdoor Tennis Facility in Akron, Ohio.

Buffalo currently ranks fourth in the MAC with one match remaining before the MAC Tournament begins.

The Bulls will travel to Bowling Green (2-17, 0-6 MAC) next Sunday in the regular season finale.

Men’s tennis (10-7, 3-3 MAC)

The Bulls dropped their first match of the weekend to Ball State (10-11, 3-3 MAC) on Friday 4-3 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. They went on to defeat Northern Illinois (15-8, 3-3 MAC) 5-2 on Sunday at the West Tennis Courts.

Western Michigan (5-2 MAC) has already clinched the No. 1 seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament, but Buffalo has a chance to secure the No. 2 seed with a win over Binghamton and a Northern Illinois loss.

The Bulls have their final regular season game of the season Thursday, when they host Binghamton (12-7, 3-2 MAC) at the Miller Tennis Center. Match time has yet to be announced.

Baseball (11-20, 4-8 MAC)

In their home opening series at Amherst Audubon Stadium, the Bulls were swept in three games by Miami Ohio (19-16, 9-3 MAC). The Bulls were shut out for both of the first two games, and dropped the third 7-6 in 12 innings Sunday.

The Bulls remain home Wednesday to host Canisius.

Track & field

Several Buffalo athletes traveled to the University of Connecticut over the weekend to participate in the Northeast Challenge. Junior shot putter Ryan Cribbin finished second in the men’s shot put, throwing 17.30-meters in his best throw of the day. The men’s team finished in third place and the women’s team placed fifth. Buffalo will travel to Ohio State next weekend for the Jesse Owens Classic.

Football

Buffalo held its 11th practice of the spring this past Saturday at UB Stadium. The practice ran 40 minutes longer than scheduled as several position battles are beginning to heat up going into the summer, including quarterback.

Freshman Tyree Jackson, rising sophomore Chris Merchant and rising senior Grant Rohach continue to split the snaps evenly at practice. It remains a three-way battle to replace graduated Joe Licata as starting quarterback. Head coach Lance Leipold is not excepted to make a final decision until the summer.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.