The grapevine: Tech N9ne coming to Town Ballroom in Buffalo

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

Buffalo’s concert selections this week are undoubtedly low-key. From videogame-loving bands to old Australian ’80s rock bands, there is no shortage of variety or options this week in the Queen City.

Some highlights this week include prominent R&B singer Jeremih, who performed at UB’s Fall Fest in 2015, and Noah Gunderson, a talented acoustic musician. As the school year winds down, don’t let the stress of finals and papers get you down. Get out and go listen to some jams to unwind.

Tuesday, April 19

The Protomen – Waiting Room

American rock band The Protomen is best known for its work with video game concept albums, most famously The Protomen, a self-titled album centered around the plot of “Mega Man.”

The band originated in Tennessee and mostly consists of Middle Tennessee State University record program graduates.

Despite its humble beginnings, the band has performed all across the world, including at Bonnaroo and SXSW. The band will be performing at the Waiting Room on Tuesday.

Wednesday, April 20

Tech N9ne – Town Ballroom

Aaron Yates, aka Tech N9ne, is an American rapper. He has been involved in the scene for quite some time, first starting his own record label Strange Music in 1999.

As a solo artist, Yates has sold over two million albums and has appeared in many film, television and video game spots.

Currently, Yates is working on his 17th studio album, The Storm, which is set to be released sometime in November.

Thursday, April 21

The Spill Canvas – Waiting Room

Alt-rock band The Spill Canvas, hailing from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, began as a side project by Nick Thomas, a musician for Nodes of Ranvier.

When it was clear that The Spill Canvas was going to be a bigger project, Thomas dropped his gig and became a full-time member of the band.

The band has released seven studio albums since 2002, becoming a mainstay in the indie rock scene.

It announced an anniversary tour for One Fell Swoop in August and has been touring since last summer. The Spill Canvas will be playing at the Waiting Room on Thursday.

Friday, April 22

Jeremih – The Rapids Theatre

Jeremih, a Chicago-born R&B singer best known for his single “Birthday Sex” released in 2009, has been signed with Def Jam Records for a few years now.

His hit “Don’t Tell ‘Em,” peaked in the Billboard Hot 100 in 2014. Most recently, the artist released his fourth studio album Later That Night.

He will be performing at The Rapids Theatre.

Saturday, April 23

The Church – Tralf Music Hall

Sydney psychedelic rock band The Church formed in 1980, during the peak of psychedelic fervor in the ’80s.

The band released its debut album Of Skins and Heart in 1981. Since, the band has not stopped touring or making music, releasing 24 studio albums since 1981.

The Church has been on countless world and national tours, hit the festival scene and has more live show experience than most bands ever will.

They will be performing at The Tralf on Saturday.

Sunday, April 24

Noah Gunderson – Tralf Music Hall

Indie folk singer-songwriter Noah Gunderson will be bringing his talents to The Tralf on Sunday.

Born in Olympia, Washington, he initially founded the band The Courage, active primarily during the late 2000s. As a solo artist, Gunderson has released six studio albums – the most recent Carry the Ghost in 2015.

Gunderson is known for his acoustic talents, performing live shows with long-winded acoustic arrangements – perfect for a lazy Sunday.

Brian Windschitl is a senior arts editor who can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com