HALFTIME: UB Bulls trail Miami 35-33 in NCAA Tournament

Buffalo struggling to shoot inside

<p>Sophomore guard Lamonte Bearden (right) drives to the basket against Miami in the Bulls' NCAA Tournament game. Bulls trail 35-33 and Bearden has nine points.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore guard Lamonte Bearden (right) drives to the basket against Miami in the Bulls' NCAA Tournament game. Bulls trail 35-33 and Bearden has nine points. 

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND – The Buffalo men’s basketball team (20-14, 10-8 Mid-American Conference) trails Miami 35-33 at the end of the first half in its opening game of the NCAA Tournament in the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.

Sophomore guard Lamonte Bearden went the length of the floor and scored a layup as time expired, but the officials ruled Bearden did not get his shot off in time, thus the half ended with a 35-33 deficit for Buffalo.

The Bulls relied heavily on three-point shooting in the first half, as Miami’s (25-7, 13-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) size advantage made it difficult for Buffalo to get inside.

The Bulls went 5 of 12 from three-point range, but went just from 4 of 18 from inside the arc.

The Bulls used that three-point shooting to lead through the majority of the first half, until the Hurricanes went on a 9-0 run from the 5:53 to the 3:45 minute mark to take a 29-25 lead.

Two Bulls freshmen made a significant impact, with forward Nick Perkins and guard CJ Massinburg scoring 11 and 7 points, respectively. Perkins accounted for nine of Buffalo’s first 12 points by hitting three shots from beyond the arc.

Bearden has scored nine points, but has struggled with turnovers, leading to several fast breaks for Miami.

Miami’s Sheldon McClellan leads all scorers with 12 points. He also has four rebounds.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.