April movie preview

Films to look forward to this month

<p>With films like “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice” and “Zootopia” already out, there are many promising new films premiering this weekend and throughout the rest of April. “The Jungle Book,” the beloved Disney classic of the ’60s, is being re-released as a live action movie and is one of the most exciting movies of April.</p>

With films like “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice” and “Zootopia” already out, there are many promising new films premiering this weekend and throughout the rest of April. “The Jungle Book,” the beloved Disney classic of the ’60s, is being re-released as a live action movie and is one of the most exciting movies of April.

April is set to be a huge month for new movie releases. With films like “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice” and “Zootopia” already out, there are many promising new films premiering this weekend and throughout the rest of April. From action to comedy and fantasy, there are a large variety of films that can appeal to multiple viewers.

Eleven movies will be released in certain areas and nationwide on Friday April 1, and throughout the rest of the month dozens of other movies are releasing as well.

Here’s our collection of movies receiving the most attention for this upcoming month.

“Meet The Blacks”

Release date: April 1

Rated: R

Director: Deon Taylor

Starring: Mike Epps, Mike Tyson, Zulay Henao, Andrew Bachekor, Bresha Webb and George Lopez

The Black family inherits $1 million, so they leave Detroit and their debt behind for a new life in Beverly Hills.

What the family doesn’t know is that Beverly Hills is in the middle of its annual purge night, where for 12 hours all crime is legal. The Blacks have to survive the night and avoid all purge-related people at all costs in this parody.

“Hardcore Henry”

Release date: April 8

Rated: R

Director: Cyrus Arnold

Starring: Shartlo Copley, Haley Bennett, Danila Kozlovsky, Cyrus Arold, Andrey Dementyev and Darsha Charusha

“Hardcore Henry” is an original film shot completely in the first-person to depict the story from the hero’s perspective. The story starts off with the main character Henry’s wife bringing him back from the dead – and he remembers nothing.

The next moment Akan, a powerful warlord kidnaps his wife and Henry finds himself being shot at.

After Akan leaves with his wife, Henry is left clueless – he doesn’t remember who he is or where he’s from, but he’s determined to get his wife back. This action film will leave you on the edge of your seat wondering what Henry will do next in order to get his wife back.

“The Boss”

Release date: April 8

Rated: R

Director: Ben Falcone

Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Peter Dinklage, Kristen Bell, Kristen Schaal, Kathy Bates and Cecily Strong

Melissa McCarthy plays the role of a boss for a multi-million-dollar corporation, but is sent to prison after being caught for insider trading.

Upon being released she tries to make amends with all her former business partners, but after screwing them over, they’re not so quick to trust her again. To give herself a new friendly image, she turns to the industry of Girl Scout cookies to build a new empire for herself.

“The Jungle Book”

Release date: April 15

Rated: PG

Director: Jon Favreau

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong’o, Idris Elba, Neel Sethi, Bill Murray and Ben Kingsley

Relive a childhood classic in an all-new live-action adventure about Mowgli, a young man raised by wolves who has set out on a journey in the middle of the jungle.

He quickly learns that the jungle is not so friendly to humans, as the fierce tiger Shere Khan, who has a past fighting with man, begins to pursue Mowgli. He receives help from Bagheera, a black panther, and Baloo, a bear.

Together the three voyage across the jungle to find Mowgli a more fitting home. Their journey is not easy, as they encounter jungle creatures like King Louie and Kaa who try to stop them in their tracks. This epic 3D journey of self-discovery brings a wild new twist to the Disney favorite.

“Barbershop: The Next Cut”

Release date: April 15

Rated: PG-13

Director: Malcom D. Lee

Starring: Ice Cube, Cedric the Entertainer, Regina Hall, Common, Michael Rainey Jr. and Nicki Minaj

Taking place 10 years after the second “Barbershop” film, Calvin (Ice Cube) and his hair cutting gang are still serving up fresh cuts, but their shop has changed quite a bit.

The once male-dominated area is now co-ed, with women stylists and customers bringing a girly flair to their once masculine part of town. Fed up with all the drama and gossip Calvin and his crew set out to save their shop and their neighborhood, as it has taken a turn for the worse.

“The Huntsman: Winter’s War”

Release date: April 22

Rated: PG-13

Director: Cedric Nicolas-Troyan

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt, Jessica Chastain, Nick Frost and Sam Clafin

The second film in the Snow White series is a precursor to the first film. Long before the evil Queen Ravenna was supposedly killed by Snow White’s blade, she patiently watched over her sister Freya when her loved ones betrayed her and fled the kingdom.

With her ability to freeze any object at her disposal, she spent years training an elite force of Huntsman warriors. She is tempted by the same evil spirits as her sister and when she learns of her sister’s death, she requests her golden mirror to be delivered to her. With its mysterious powers, unknown to Freya, the kingdom witnesses the darkest power it’s ever seen. Now the huntsmen must fight to save their land from the evil army.

Max Kalnitz is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.