UB Student Association looking to fill vacant senate seat

Open position left by Soliman’s resignation

<p>Senate Chair Dillon Smith (right) listens to senators speak during an SA Senate held in the fall semester. The senate is currently looking to fill the vacant senate seat left by former senator Yaser Soliman.&nbsp;</p>

Senate Chair Dillon Smith (right) listens to senators speak during an SA Senate held in the fall semester. The senate is currently looking to fill the vacant senate seat left by former senator Yaser Soliman. 

The Student Association Senate is looking to fill the vacant senate seat left after the resignation of former senator Yaser Soliman.

Any undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.5 is eligible to apply for the position online. The main responsibilities of a senator are to vote on club grant requests and the SA budget. A committee will select one of the applicants for the position.

The chair, 12 senators and six council coordinators make up the voting body of the senate, but the senate has been with only 11 senators since Soliman resigned after the chair election controversy last October. Soliman lost the election for chair, but SA President Minahil Khan did not follow election procedures and SA’s attorney later deemed the election invalid. Khan was acting with advice from the SA professional staff and maintains she did not try to influence the election against Soliman.

Soliman chose to resign rather than run against Dillion Smith, who was later elected chair. 

The deadline to apply for the open senate position is Feb. 15 at 5 p.m.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.