The grapevine: Pussy Riot and Cannibal Corpse highlight this week in music coming from Buffalo

This week, the Queen City is bringing its best selections from the hardcore scene. From revolutionaries Pussy Riot to punk rockers The Queers, there is a show in Buffalo for every rebellious soul.

Get free from the oppression of the man, save yourself and go see a punk rock concert.

Thursday, Feb. 18

Pussy Riot – Asbury Hall

Russian feminist group Pussy Riot will be coming to speak at Asbury Hall about their guerilla performances around Russia, largely seen as protests against the Russian President, Putin.

Three of the group members – Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich – were arrested in 2012 after staging a performance at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow, Russia. After, the group’s media fame exploded. Today, they are lauded as hugely progressive revolutionaries in Russia because of their feminism.

Friday, Feb. 19

Cannibal Corpse – Town Ballroom

Heavy metal band Cannibal Corpse is a local favorite. Since 1988, the Buffalo-based band has put out 13 studio albums. It is perhaps most infamous for its notoriety – the group has been banned in multiple countries because of its graphic lyrics and performances.

Around Buffalo, they have a small cult-like following ands always pull a pretty good crowd. The mosh pits are hectic.

Saturday, Feb. 20

The Queers – Waiting Room

Punk rockers The Queers will be performing at the Waiting Room on Saturday. They are true punk rockers, taking a majority of their style and performance technique from The Ramones.

They have been touring around the country and making music since 1981. They are well known for their covers of many popular artists, including The Beach Boys, The Ramones and Angry Samoans.

Sunday, Feb. 21 / Monday, Feb. 22

Excision – Town Ballroom

Dubstep artist Jeff Abel is well known in the EDM scene for his hard-hitting bass and electrifying live shows. This isn’t the first time Excision has performed in Buffalo – he has come a few times over the past few years. His shows are typically sold out, which prompted the Town Ballroom to do the back-to-back dates on Sunday and Monday.

Come out to see this famous EDM artist and rage.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com.