The grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

Buffalo, as always, has an eclectic and interesting set of artists coming to town this week. From venerable ’90s hip-hip legends to The Boss, himself, Buffalo has something for everyone.

Get some friends, get off your iPhones and go see and actual, live concert this week. Trust me – you won’t regret it.

Monday, Feb. 22

Excision – Town Ballroom

On Monday, prominent dubstep producer Excision will be performing his second night straight at Town Ballroom, coming off a double-feature at the local venue.

The Canadian artist is sure to blow the roof off. His concert will be loud and rowdy, with a younger crowd fist-pumping at every bass drop. The wildly popular artist knows how to party – kick off your week the right way with a night of fun.

Tuesday, Feb. 23

Lil Durk – Waiting Room

Durk Banks is a rapper from Chicago and is signed to Def Jam Records. He has had a rocky early career, with sporadic appearances and hits coming off his hits “Sneak Dissin’” and “Traumatized.”

The rapper has some bangers, so if you go to the concert prepare yourself to mob with the squad all night. Come and show your support for this rapper on the rise.

Wednesday, Feb. 24

Naughty By Nature – Waiting Room

Naughty by Nature is a Grammy-award winning hip-hop trio consisting of Treach, Vin Rock and DJ Kay Gee. The trio was founded in 1988, first releasing an album Independent Leaders in 1989.

The ’90s was when this group found their success, with hits like “Uptown Anthem” and “Feel Me Flow.” They are an iconic group from the golden age of hip-hop, up there with legends like Run-DMC and Easy-E.

Thursday, Feb. 25

Bruce Springsteen – First Niagara Center

“The Boss” will be making his way back to Buffalo. The musician, singer and songwriter is hugely popular for his iconic music career, spanning 20 Grammy Awards, two Golden Globes and an Academy Award.

The concert will be held in First Niagara Center and is sure to be jam-packed with diehard fans who will be screaming every word of every song. Get tickets if you can.

Friday, Feb. 26

Marian Hill – Waiting Room

Marian Hill, the songwriting duo from Philadelphia, is a relatively new experimental jazz and R&B group that has pushed its way into the music industry with its lauded release Sway.

The duo, comprised of Samantha Gongol on vocals and Jeremy Lloyd on production, is headed for stardom. Catch the duo in Buffalo to say that you saw the band before they made it big.

Saturday, Feb. 27

Neko Case – Asbury Hall

American singer and songwriter Neko Case, also known for her contributions as apart of The New Pornographers, is headed to Buffalo on Saturday.

Case has had a long career, first starting off as Neko Case & Her Boyfriends in 1994. A few years later, she worked with The New Pornographers with their first few albums. After that, her solo career took off.

Come out and see Case perform on Saturday – her music is perfect for unwinding after a long school week.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com.