The grapevine: Spring break edition

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

Spring break is a perfect time for relaxation and rejuvenation. But it can also seem like a tease. Spring break is just a week but it symbolizes the halfway point between the spring semester and summer.

The break lets you get a taste of summer without the complete freedom of responsibilities and homework. Fear not, though, as there are many opportunities to get all that angst out in one of Buffalo’s many concerts happening in mid-March.

From trash metal, veteran blues rockers and the one and only Blake Shelton, a decent country musician, there is truly something for everyone during spring break. If you aren’t one of the lucky ones going to the beach during the break, do the next best thing and go drink some beer at a grungy local dive and listen to some good music.

Sunday, March 13

Stalking Neptune – Evening Star Concert Hall

Stalking Neptune, a local hard rock band, will be performing at the Evening Star Concert Hall on Sunday. The band has performing around Buffalo as one of the premier up-and-coming local acts in the past few years.

They are known for their sonic variety, playing anything from hard rock to metal. The band will be celebrating their anniversary of starting their band for this show, nearly a year since the day they founded the group on March 21, 2015.

Monday, March 14

Glenn Hughes, Joanne Shaw Taylor and Jared James Nichols – Iron Works

A trio of venerate musicians will be featured at the Iron Works venue downtown.

Glenn Hughes is an English rock bassist and vocalist best known for his involvement in the group Deep Purple, a famous ’70s rock band. Joanne Shaw Taylor is established blues musician discovered by Dave Stewart when she was 16. Jared James Nichols is an up-and-coming blues singer and musician from Los Angeles.

Together, the trio will be performing at Iron Works in what is sure to be a night to remember, with two music industry veterans and a newcomer all playing live sets.

Tuesday, March 15

Megadeth – The Rapids Theatre

Megadeth, a thrash metal band from Los Angeles, will be coming to play in Niagara Falls on Tuesday. Dave Mustaine and David Ellefson formed the group shortly after Mustaine left Metallica.

Today, Megadeth is known as one of the most prominent thrash metal bands despite having undergone a series of member changes due to infighting. If you like metal or rock, don’t miss this prime chance to get in a crazy mosh pit.

Thursday, March 17

Blake Shelton – First Niagara Center

Blake Shelton is an American country music star. He is also known for his appearances on “The Voice.” The singer has been nominated for a few Grammy awards over his life, but has never won any.

He is currently producing his tenth studio album, which will be released soon. He is playing at the First Niagara Center, the largest downtown venue in Buffalo.

Friday, March 18

Drew Baldridge – Waiting Room

Drew Baldridge is an up-and-coming country artist who just released a three-part music project called Crossing County Lines.

Known for his high-energy live shows, Baldridge is unique for his blend of country and dance music. He will be coming to Buffalo’s Waiting Room on his national tour on Friday.

Saturday, March 19

Deer Tick – Tralf Music Hall

Deer Tick is an alternative rock band from Providence, Rhode Island. The group has been described as a rock band, but is known for its diverse range of influences from folk, blues and country.

The band formed in 2004 and is currently touring off of its fifth album, Negativity off of Partisan Records. The band will be performing at the Tralf on Saturday.

David Cross – Center for the Arts, University at Buffalo

David Cross is an American stand-up comedian, actor and writer known for his work on HBO, “Arrested Development”and “Modern Family.

Cross will be at UB to present a comedy routine as well as talk about his career as a writer and comedian.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com