News briefs: Paris hit with terror attacks, Americans offer home to French travelers

Locally:

High winds cause damage across Erie County

Thursday’s high winds caused damage across Western New York. Hundreds of Buffalo residents lost power due to the weather conditions, according to The Buffalo News.

The Erie County Sheriff’s Office said it received 11 road obstruction calls, mostly for fallen tree limbs and wires on Thursday. The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory in Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming and Chautauqua counties, which expired on Friday.

Copper thieves strike in Erie County

Copper thieves have made stolen approximately 75 feet of copper wiring at at a power substation of the New York State Electric and Gas group, according to WIVB. Officers said the thieves struck in Olean Road in the Town of Holland. Local officers say they are remaining vigilant of future thefts.

Nationally:

University of Missouri racial tensions ignite protests in colleges across the nation

The racial tensions at the University of Missouri have sparked student protests at colleges across the country. Hundreds of students gathered at Ithaca College in upstate New York on Wednesday demanding the resignation of president Tom Rochon, according to The New York Times.

The students’ demonstration stemmed from sentiments of racial insensitivity on campus. Students also gathered at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts in support of Missouri and Ithaca. Administration at University of Kansas, called for a town hall meeting to give students and faculty to discuss racial concerns on campus.

Americans offer their homes to French travelers

Hundreds of Americans have opened their homes to French travelers stuck in the United States in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, according to NBC News. There have been many airline cancellations and delays after a series of terror attacks in Paris Friday night.

Americans are using the hashtag #StrandedinUS across various social media websites to offer their homes to people who are struggling to get back home to France. In addition to offering shelter, Americans are also offering transportation and food for the French.

Globally:

Paris suffers deadly string of terrorist attacks

The Islamic State has declared responsibility for the multiple coordinated attacks that killed more than a hundred people and injured more than 300 in Paris, France on Friday. The attackers opened fire and executed multiple explosions at a concert hall, a stadium, restaurants and bars.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins has confirmed at least 129 people have been killed, 352 people were injured and 99 of them were in critical condition as of Saturday. President Francois Hollande referred to the attacks as an “act of war” and said France’s response to the attacks would be “merciless.”

Earthquake triggers tsunami in Japan

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake has occurred in Japan's southwestern coast on Saturday, according to CNN. The earthquake later caused a small tsunami, but Japanese authorities said no major damage was caused by the tsunami or earthquake. The earthquake occurred at 5:51 a.m., about 100 miles from the town of Makurazaki.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.