The grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

As per usual, Buffalo’s has a wide-ranging set of concert options this week. If you feel sad and want to get lost in your feelings for a night, Surfan Stevens makes great music to cry to. If you want get funky and dance all night, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad is playing at the Tralf this week. If you are feeling nostalgic for some middle school 2000s pop hits, the Plain White T’s are coming to town. Pick what you want and go for it.

Monday, Oct. 26

The Struts – Iron Works

The Struts are an up-and-coming English rock band from Derby, England, making their way across the Atlantic to Buffalo. Signed to Virgin EMI, the rock band has only released one studio album, Everybody Wants, on July 28, 2014. The record helped The Struts gain acclaim in England – now the band is trying to win favor in the United States on its international tour. The group’s live shows are quickly becoming its mainstay, with lead man Luke Spiller’s charismatic onstage personality carrying the performances.

Wednesday, Oct. 28

The Orphan the Poet – Mohawk Place

From Dayton, Ohio, The Orphan the Poet (TOTP) is rock band on the cusp of making it big. It has been doing small shows in bars around the East Coast for a few years now, and while not many people may know of the group, its music is quickly gaining popularity. TOTP will be playing at Mohawk Place on Wednesday – come and see if their punk rock is something for you.

Thursday, Oct. 29

Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad – Tralf Music Hall

Up there with the most aggressive touring jam bands like STS9 and moe., Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad has been playing shows since 2004. The Rochester band is known for its non-stop touring and impromptu, one-of-a-kind concerts where the endless guitar solos are reminiscent of The Grateful Dead. The band will be coming to perform at the Tralf – bring your dancing shoes and get ready to get funky.

Friday, Oct. 30

Sufjan Stevens – Center for the Arts, UB

From Detriot, Sufjan Stevens is coming off the 2015 release Carrie & Lowell, released through Asthmatic Kitty Records. Despite his previously successful releases, Carrie & Lowell is one of his most critically acclaimed albums ever, following the artist’s struggles through his mother’s schizophrenia and drug problems. The heavily emotional material makes Sufjan’s songs both sad and sweet and his concerts are known to be particularly cathartic. He will be performing at UB on Friday.

Robert DeLong – Town Ballroom

Electronic musician Robert Delong will be coming to turn up Town Ballroom on Friday. His newest album In the Cards was released in September through Glassnote Records. Originally starting as a drummer for a few indie rock bands, Delong switched genres to EDM but his alt rock and indie influences are what make his brand of dance music unique.

Saturday, Oct. 31

Badfish – Town Ballroom

Sublime-tribute band Badfish has been honoring the spirit of the SKA, reggie rock band since 2001 when the band members met at the University of Rhode Island. What started as a casual college band quickly became immensely popular, selling out almost all of their shows and convincing the members to run with the project. They haven’t looked back since, with multiple national tours per year. Buffalo is always a stop on the band’s tour and the group is returning to the city after having played a concert at Canalside over the summer.

The Naturalists – Mohawk Place

Buffalo band The Naturalists has been steadily gaining popularity in the local scene. Influenced by ’90s rock, the band’s sound hinges on a rock revival from the ’90s and more modern indie rock cuts. The band’s aesthetic is grungy and laidback, perfect for Mohawk Place’s dive bar feel. The band is sure to feel right at home at Mohawk on Saturday in their hometown, just playing for a few people looking for a chill night out.

Sunday, Nov. 1

Plain White T’s – Showplace Theatre

American pop punk band Plain White T’s are known best for their massive popularity in the late 2000s and their single “Hey There Delilah.” The band has earned two Grammy nods in their lifespan and three of their songs – “Hey There Delilah,” “1234” and “Rhythm of Love” – were certified Platinum in 2007, ’09, and ’11 respectively. The feeling of nostalgia will be strong when the Plain White T’s come to perform in Buffalo at Showplace Theatre on Sunday. Don’t miss this chance to see one of the biggest rock bands of the late 2000s.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com.