Letter to the editor

Dear Editor,

I am writing in response to the editorial and article regarding the senior challenge campaign in the Oct. 16 issue of the Spectrum.

Nearly every university in America has a student philanthropy program. Why? To increase awareness among students of the importance of private support and how students may impact the success of their university. Contrary to the editorial, the Senior Challenge is not “asking them to pay more while calling it philanthropy;” it is nothing but philanthropy. Student donors have the power to help their fellow students in need by giving to any area of the university that is important to them.

Every university—including UB—depends on private support from donors, no matter the amount.

The Senior Challenge is one of a number of efforts to introduce philanthropy to UB students. All students are introduced to the concept as freshmen, sophomores and juniors through a series of emails that describe how private gifts enhance the experience for every UB student, from technology enhancements and scholarships, new spaces to learn or play sports, study abroad and internship programs. An annual TAG (Thank and Give) Week also demonstrates how private gifts provide for many of the programs, activities and equipment students participate in and use.

Students who give through programs like the senior challenge are more likely to continue making donations as alumni. And when more alumni give, as senior Brandon Radford points out, a university’s ranking increases. At the end of the day, being a graduate of a well-ranked university adds prestige to one’s degree.

Thankfully, thousands of alumni continue to support UB with their gifts and their talents. Many started giving small amounts years ago—and continue to give today—because they want to support today’s students.

In summary, the best public universities have the strongest private support. Students make their own experiences at UB even better by participating in the Senior Challenge.

Sincerely,

Barbara A. Byers

Director, Constituent Communications

Office of Donor and Alumni Communications