UB women’s soccer defeats Syracuse 1-0 in double overtime

Buffalo takes down the ACC squad for first time

<p>Senior midfielder Kassidy Kidd brings the ball down field in a game last season. She assisted on the Bulls' game-winning goal against Syracuse Sunday. </p>

Senior midfielder Kassidy Kidd brings the ball down field in a game last season. She assisted on the Bulls' game-winning goal against Syracuse Sunday. 

It was solely a defensive match for 107 minutes between the women’s soccer team and Syracuse. The game was laced with impressive saves and stellar defense.

But in the 108th minute, everything changed.

Senior midfielder Kassidy Kidd missed a shot directed toward the goal, but junior midfielder Dana Lytle got the rebound and placed it in the back of the net to knock off the Bulls’ downstate-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) opponent.

The Bulls (3-2) defeated the Orange (2-4) 1-0 in double overtime the first time in program history on Sunday afternoon at UB Stadium.

Other than the Lytle goal, the matchup was defensive minded. Neither team could find the back of the net. Despite the defensive match, both teams were actively shooting on goal. In total, the teams combined for 36 shots, with 15 being on goal.

Within the first fifteen minutes of the game, sophomore goalkeeper Laura Dougall made a diving stop. Dougall stopped the ball and kicked it away when it was inches from scoring. The sophomore phenom finished with eight saves throughout the day in yet another impressive outing.

Although Syracuse is an ACC team, it did not faze the Buffalo squad despite lopsided shot total before overtime. The Orange outshot the Bulls 15-7 in regulation and outshot them 6-0 in the first overtime. But the Bulls took control in the second overtime by outshooting Syracuse 6-2 before Lytle knocked in the winning goal.

The Bulls will continue their three-game home stand Tuesday against Niagara (2-1-1). The match begins at 7 p.m.

Aubrey McLaughlin is a sports staff writer. Email: sports@ubspectrum.com