UB’s Center for the Arts upcoming events and performances

<p>Dweezil Zappa pays tribute to his father’s music in his “Zappa Plays Zappa” performance in the Center for the Arts in March. The CFA has announced its fall schedule, which includes dance company LehrerDance and humorist David Sedaris.</p>

Dweezil Zappa pays tribute to his father’s music in his “Zappa Plays Zappa” performance in the Center for the Arts in March. The CFA has announced its fall schedule, which includes dance company LehrerDance and humorist David Sedaris.

The Center for the Arts provides its students and community opportunities to indulge themselves in cultural events.

The fall 2015 CFA event lineup includes talented performers to showcase varying artistic styles in music, dance, comedy and entertainment to UB.

Gretchen Parlato, September Sept. 19 at 8 p.m.

Tickets: $34.50, Students $20.50, Groups $31.50

Parlato is an alumna of the Thelonious Monk Institute and the first person admitted into the respected program as a vocalist. She won the 2004 Thelonious Monk Institute International Vocal Competition and has gone on to garner great attention over her career.

Parlato has worked with jazz legend Wayne Shorter and performed with drummer, Kendrick Scott Oracle – also set to perform on Jan. 30 – on multiple occasions.

Known for her sultry and alluring voice, Parlato has gained worldwide recognition from musicians and critics alike. She was nominated for Female Singer of the Year by the Jazz Journalists Association in 2010 and has performed at some of the most renowned concert halls in the world.

Ace Frehley, Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $42.50, $35.50, $29.50, Students $32

Founding member of KISS Ace Frehley is set to rock UB’s Center for the Arts in mid-September.

With a set list that includes work from both his time as a solo artist and a band member, Frehley will unfold his talent as one of the most influential guitar players of the last four decades. Buffalo’s KLEAR will open the concert.

Chris Hardwick: The Funcomfortable Tour, Sept. 25 at 8 p.m.

Tickets: $37.50

Comedian Chris Hardwick is touring across the country, stopping by UB’s Center for the Arts in preparation for his next stand-up special.

As chief executive officer of Nerdist Industries, Hardwick has become a social sensation within the world of multi-media communications and productions; he is also a podcaster for Nerdist Industries.

His resume consists of a laundry list of achievements most can only wish for. Not only is Hardwick a comedian and podcaster, but he’s also the host of AMC’s Talking Dead and Comedy Central’s At Midnight with Chris Hardwick, a late night game show, as well as a part-time writer for Wired magazine.

LehrerDance with 10,000 Maniacs, Oct. 3 at 8 p.m.

Tickets: $31.50, Students $13.50, Groups $28.50

Now touring in its ninth year, LehrerDance plans to start the season in its home city.

Performing with band 10,000 Maniacs, the internationally-touring professional dance company will showcase its talents in a performance fusion of art and athleticism.

Chris Cornell: Acoustic Higher Truth Tour, Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $58.50, Students $50.50

Chris Cornell is returning to the stage at the Center for the Arts for the first time since his last concert in 2013, with special guest Hemming.

Having been a member of three famous bands – Soundgarden, Temple of Dog, and Audioslave – as well as a successful solo career, Cornell is a musical mastermind.

Considered one of the greatest rock voices of all time. Not only has he won won a Grammy Award, but has also been nominated for a Golden Globe.

His musical influence expands beyond the ‘90s alternative rock scene, crossing over to the country genre.

David Sedaris, Oct. 17 at 8 p.m.

Tickets: $42.50, Students $25.50

American humorist, comedian, author and radio contributor, David Sedaris began his career after being discovered in a Chicago Club by radio host Ira Glass.

Much of his work surrounds his personal experiences, often characterized as satirical and self-ridiculing.

In 1992, National Public Radio broadcasted his essay SantaLand Diaries, starting his first wave of success. He is a New York Times Best Seller and the author of Barrel Fever and Holidays on Ice. Sedaris has also written a collection of personal essays, including Naked, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim and When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

Compañia Flamenco José Porcel in “Flamenco Fire”, Oct.19 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $31.50, $23.50, Students $13.50, Groups $28.50

A traditional combination of Spanish music and dance, Flamenco is known for its combining of rhythm and harmony.

Compañia Flamenco displays just this, but is much more extravagant and thrilling than other Flamenco dance companies.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal describes this dance company as “evocative and exciting, blending traditional flamenco with more contemporary music, moves and looks.” José Porcel leads his company of dancers in striking performances accompanied by a live orchestra.

The McCartney Years, Oct. 23 at 8 p.m.

Tickets: $29.50, Groups $27.50

If you were not one of the lucky individuals who received tickets to Paul McCartney’s upcoming Buffalo concert before it sold out in just six minutes, then you must see the almost comparable tribute band at UB’s Center for the Arts.

Just one day after McCartney himself performs, The McCartney Yearsperform its best covers of the Beatles legend. Yuri Pool, lead vocalist, delivers a remarkably similar act, mimicking Sir Paul’s unique vocals and wardrobe. The McCartney Years have performed in sold-out concert halls throughout North American and Europe.

Bollywood Masala Orchestra and Dancers of India in “The Spirit of India,” Oct. 29 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $36.50, $26.50, Students $13.50, Groups $33.50, $23.50

Bollywood represents the heart of India. Whether it be singing, dancing or both, the Bollywood Masala Orchestra and Dancers of India gracefully display culture and tradition through musical beauty.

Rahis Bharti, leader of the Dancers of India, is an exceptional Indian musical artist, fascinated by the rich traditions of his country. He aims to captivate the audience by featuring a mix of Indian and Western instruments, such as bass and side drums, clarinet, tabla, and dholak.

Let the “spirit of India” guide you from Rajasthan to Mumbai.

The National Circus and Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China, Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $26.50, Students $11.50, Groups $23.50

Audiences across the globe are continuously impressed by the sensational productions of China’s touring acrobatic group.

For more than 50 years, this Company has proved itself worthy of endless standing ovations, as the acts are physically challenging. Its 2015 tour “Peking Dreams” features trapeze and rope stunts, balancing acts and aerial silks.

Performed in 2008 at the Beijing Olympic Games, it is expected to be a spectacular production executed by international award-winning artists.

Sufjan Stevens, Oct. 30 at 8:00 p.m.

Tickets: $43.50

Sufjan Stevens is an American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, currently residing in Brooklyn, New York. Growing up in Northern Michigan, Stevens joined Marzuki, a folk-rock band and Con Los Dudes, a garage band.

He released his first album A Sun Came on the Asthmatic Kitty label he co-founded with his stepfather.

While A Sun Came is folk-rock, Stevens plays a range of musical genres, including indie folk, baroque pop, indie pop, psychedelic folk and electronica. His expansive musical talents make him a must-see artist for all musical lovers.

Alexandra Saleh is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at alex.saleh@ubspectrum.com