UB Bulls punter Tyler Grassman wins MAC Special Teams Player of the Week

Bulls earn second Special Teams Player of the Week award of season

<p>Members of the football team raise their helmets at the conclusion of the first day of spring practice. Senior Punter Tyler Grassman won Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week. </p>

Members of the football team raise their helmets at the conclusion of the first day of spring practice. Senior Punter Tyler Grassman won Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week. 

The Buffalo football team got its second win of season on Saturday thanks in part to a historic defensive effort. On Monday, it was the team’s punter that was honored for his work against Florida Atlantic.

Senior punter Tyler Grassman won the Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week Award for the East division on Monday. Against Florida Atlantic, Grassman finished with nine punts for a total of 349 yards, an average of 38.8 yards per punt, a touchback and one punt that fell inside of the 20-yard line.

Grassman also worked kickoffs for the Bulls on Saturday, finishing with seven kickoffs for a total of 431 yards and three touchbacks.

For the season, Grassman has 19 punts for 755 yards, including three kicks falling inside of the 20-yard line. His season average is 39.7 yards per punt and his season long is 53 yards, which came in last week’s game against Florida Atlantic.

During his four-year career, Grassman has been vital to Buffalo’s special teams unit. He ranks third in program history in total punts with 220 and punting yards with 8,461. Since 2000, Grassman ranks second in school history in both statistics behind former Bulls punter Ben Woods.

This is the second time this season that a Buffalo player earned the distinction, as sophomore receiver and returner Jacob Martinez earned the honor in Week One with an 86-yard punt return for a touchdown.

The Bulls return home to face Nevada (1-2) at UB Stadium on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

Quentin Haynes is the co-senior sports editor and can be reached at quentin.haynes@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @Haynes_Spectrum