Fall movie guide

Upcoming films to be released at the end of the month

The end of the September opens to a year of new releases seeking to engage audiences of all sorts. Films of the fall are set to portray the realities of life and consequences of moral relativism to its audiences while also creating a community of comedic refuge.

“The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials”

Release Date: Friday, Sept. 18

PG-13

The maze was only the beginning. One of the most highly anticipated films of the fall, “The Maze Runner” sequel continues the daring journey of Thomas and his fellow Gladers. Now, the Gladers must survive an even greater challenge: defeating the W.C.K.D., an organization set to conquer the good of humanity. The Gladers face another obstacle when the W.C.K.D. release them into a desolate landfill meant to destroy all hope of survival. Directed by Wes Ball and starring Dylan O’Brien (“Teen Wolf”), Kaya Scodelario (“Skins UK”) and Thomas Brodie-Sangster (“Game of Thrones”), “The Scorch Trials” is going to be a sure-fire success.

“Black Mass”

Release Date: Friday, Sept. 18

R

Directed by Scott Cooper, “Black Mass” is an American crime thriller based on the 2001 book, “Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob” by Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill. Whitey Bulger (Johnny Depp) is an infamous Irish-American mobster and leader of organized crime in South Boston. After years of carrying out criminal acts, he joins the FBI to help stop ruthless killings by another Mafia gang. “Black Mass” features an all-star cast with Depp as Bulger, Benedict Cumberbatch as his brother, William “Billy” Bulger, and Kevin Bacon as FBI agent Charles McGuire.

“Captive”

Release Date: Friday, Sept. 18

PG-13

Based on the nonfiction novel, “Unlikely Angel” by Ashley Smith, “Captive” follows Brian Nichols’ (Oyelowo) 2005 trial for rape charges. During the proceedings, he manages to escape the Fulton Courthouse only after murdering the judge and court reporter (Rowan Barnes). While in prison, he shoots Sergeant Hoyt Teasley and later kills Agent David G. Wilhelm at his home. He then captures Ashley Smith (Kate Mara) as a hostage. The film follows Smith’s journey as a hostage with the hope of freedom.

“The Intern”

Release Date: Friday, Sept. 25

PG-13

Starring Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway, “The Intern” is a comedic display of old meets new. As part of a community outreach program, founder and CEO Jules Ostin accepts intern Ben Whittaker to be part of the business. Will Whittaker be able to keep up with the fast-paced fashion industry or will Ostin manage to match his wit and charm?

“Hotel Transylvania 2”

Release Date: Sept. 25

PG

The second installment of the animated comedy is now here to entertain audiences of all ages. While directed at children and pre-teens, “Hotel Transylvania 2” incorporates simple life lessons to inspire anyone.

The hotel is now open to humans. What will happen to the relationship between monsters and people? Will it remain peaceful or end in chaos? Audiences will see the relationship unfold through this whimsical and exciting adventure between the mystical and the natural.

“99 Homes”

Release Date: Friday Sept. 25

R

Dramatic film “99 Homes” will follow single father Dennis Nash (Andrew Garfield) after the foreclosure of his Orlando home. Because he has to care for his children, Nash is out of options. He reluctantly joins real estate broker Rick Carver (Michael Shannon) and is forced to use the same corrupt practices on other families that Carver used on him. Nash, cornered into a moral dilemma, has to choose between right and wrong – not just for himself, but also for the greater good.

“The Walk”

Release Date: Friday, Oct. 9

PG

French high-wire artist Philippe Petit walked between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center on August 7, 1974. A quarter mile above the ground, he performed a 45-minute nail-biting routine of dance and aerobatics. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the audacious performer, this biopic centers on his daring performance with reference to his earlier years.

Alexandra Saleh is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at alexandra.saleh@ubspectrum.com