2015 Summer movie guide

Some of the films you definitely don’t want to miss this summer

Summer is the season known for beaches, barbecues and blockbusters. Summertime blockbusters coming to a theater near you give the chance to get out of the sun and into some air conditioning while keeping up with the hottest new releases in cinema. So get into your car and drive your way to the nearest theater to catch a few of this summer’s most anticipated movies.

Entourage –June 3

The hit HBO series Entourage is back and bigger than ever by making its debut on the silver screen on June 3.

The film centers on Hollywood star Vincent Chase (Adrian Grenier) and his group of friends (Jerry Ferrara, Kevin Dillon and Kevin Connolly) and their adjustment to living the high life in Hollywood. The R-rated comedy is sure to leave moviegoers weak with laughter.

Jurassic World – June 12

Jurassic World brings moviegoers back to Jurassic Park, the fictional super zoo and amusement park where scientists have brought dinosaurs back to life. Similar to the original 1993 film, things go wrong at the park. This time, a genetically modified super-predator breaks free causing havoc on the island.

Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) is the park’s last hope to stop the rampaging dinosaurs – will he save the park or get viciously eaten?

Ted 2 – June 26

The arguably lovable talking bear from Boston is back once again, alongside Mark Wahlberg, in Ted 2. This time around, Ted and his best pal John (Wahlberg) must prove the bear’s legal “personhood” so he can adopt a child. This sends the two on a quest to find out what it really means to be a person.

If you love Seth MacFarlane’s work – Family Guy, American Dad and the Cleveland ShowTed 2 is worth checking out, as his signature brand of humor is set to grace the big screen.

Magic Mike XXL – July 1

Channing Tatum is back as hot male stripper Magic Mike in Magic Mike XXL. Three years after Mike quits the stripping business, the stripper reunites with the rest of the Kings of Tampafor one last performance in Myrtle Beach, with stops along the way. This R-rated comedy is sure to sizzle on the big screen and fulfill moviegoers’ desire for the steamy when it comes to theaters on July 1.

Minions – July 10

The lovable ‘Minions’ from the Despicable Me franchise have their own film this time around. The film is centered around minions Kevin, Stuart and Little Bob on their quest to find their next master, Scarlett Overkill. If you love the hilarious antics of the Minions from the Despicable Me series, “Minions” is the summer flick for you.

Ant-Man –July 17

It wouldn’t be summer without a superhero flick. This summer, it’s Marvel hero and Avengers founding member, Ant-Man. Con man Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) has the ability to shrink in size but grow in strength. Lang and his mentor Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) must pull off a heist to save the world. If you love superhero films, Ant-Man is a must-see this summer.

Pixels – July 24

What would you do if your favorite video game villains came to life? In Pixels, Adam Sandler, Peter Dinklage, Josh Gad and Kevin James will find out just how dangerous that is. When aliens invade the world through vintage arcade games as mediums for their attacks, the four must resurrect their arcade game prowess to defeat them. These gamers are mankind’s last hope. Featuring video game classics such as Pacman, Donkey Kong and Space Invaders, this film is perfect for movie lovers and gamers, young and old.

Fantastic Four –Aug. 7

Keeping up with the summer trend of superhero films comes the reboot of the Fantastic Four. Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell play four outcasts who end up in an alternate universe and develop special powers. They must learn to use their newfound abilities to save the world from evil villain Dr. Doom.

Straight Outta Compton – Aug. 14

Straight Outta Compton tells the story of N.W.A – one of the most famous and impactful rap groups of all time. From their unique West Coast style of music, to their impact to pop culture, this film will cover the entire story that is N.W.A.

Corey Antonio Hawkins plays super-producer Dr. Dre, with Jason Mitchell playing Eazy-E and O’Shea Jackson, Jr. playing Ice Cube. Too bad Ice Cube couldn’t play Ice Cube.

James Battle is the arts desk editor and can be reached at james.battle@ubspectrum.com