UB baseball splits weekend series

Bulls still finding identity early in the season

<p>The baseball team went 2-2 this weekend in Dayton, Ohio. </p>

The baseball team went 2-2 this weekend in Dayton, Ohio. 

With multiple underclassmen getting playing time this season, the baseball team is in search of its identity in the early stages of the season.

The Bulls (3-6) went 2-2 in four games this weekend in Dayton, Ohio against the Dayton Flyers (5-8). The team scored a season-high seven runs in a loss in Monday’s first game. The Bulls were outscored 21-20 over the series.

With the series split, Bulls head coach Ron Torgalski said that these few weeks are a transition period heading into conference play.

“I express this to my guys every day, these first five, six weeks are for us to determine what are best lineup is come conference play,” Torgalski said. “I’m trying different guys in different spots.”

The Bulls dropped the first game of the series on Saturday 7-5. The Bulls started off well, scoring two runs in the first inning and three in the second, but were shut out for the rest of the game. Junior pitcher Ben Hartz took his second loss of the season, giving up 10 hits and seven runs in five innings pitched.

In relief, sophomore pitcher Alec Tuohy, struck out five batters and allowing

just one base runner in three innings.

Buffalo won the second game of the double header 6-3, breaking the game open with a four-run fourth inning. Sophomore third baseman Chris Kwitzer went 4-4 with two RBIs in the game. Senior pitcher Anthony Magovney picked up his first win of the season giving up three runs in six innings pitched.

“We’re playing a lot of close games, which I like because it does prepare us for conference,” said Torgalski. “It puts us in tough situations.”

The team lost its first game on Monday 9-7, giving up a big six-run third inning that proved to be the dagger. Sophomore pitcher Brent Cleland gave up eight runs in four innings and took the loss. Junior outfielder Nick Sinay walked four times in the game.

The Bulls took the second game of a double-header after dropping the first. In the final game of the series Buffalo won a close game 3-2. Senior pitcher Mike McGee earned the win, going 4.2 innings and giving up two runs – one earned.

“This team has really showed resilience, that they can come back,” said Torgalski. “Our last six games have been double-headers, where we’ve lost the first one and then came back in the second one and won. It’s definitely showing me something about this team.”

The Bulls will play their next game Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Canisius.

Michael Akelson is a staff writer and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com