Tuesday, May 07, 2024

UB Bulls recap: Women's basketball continues winning streak

Team pushes winning streak to three games

Senior forward Kristen Sharkey recorded 26 points that propelled a second-half surge to defeat Toledo 68-61.
Courtesy of Paul Hokanson, UB Athletic Dept.
Senior forward Kristen Sharkey recorded 26 points that propelled a second-half surge to defeat Toledo 68-61. Courtesy of Paul Hokanson, UB Athletic Dept.

The Bulls pushed their winning streak to three games Wednesday, defeating Toledo (12-8, 5-4 MAC) 68-61. The Bulls are 5-2 in their last seven MAC games after starting conference play 0-2. The team currently ranks third in the MAC East.

In the first half, the Bulls couldn’t get anything to drop, but senior forward Kristen Sharkey finished 12 first half points to lead the team. Aside from Sharkey’s production, Buffalo shot just 8 of 29 (29 percent) from the floor and failed to reach the foul line.

Toledo shot 48 percent from the floor and 50 percent from beyond the arc. Buffalo failed to stop the Rockets’ ball movement. Toledo finished with nine assists and two of their players – Inma Zanoguera and Ana Capotosto – nearly outscored the Bulls in the first half (24 points combined). The nine-point deficit going into the half was the highest for Buffalo in conference play.

The Bulls began finding better shots on the offensive end, making the extra pass and converting beyond the arc in the second half.

After a clean offensive first half, Toledo began to make mistakes and the Bulls capitalized. Buffalo produced seven second-half steals and nine Toledo turnovers. The Rockets’ offense fell into a rut, shooting 21 percent from the field and 25 percent from beyond the arc.

Offensively, the Bulls exploded for 39 second half points, thanks to 12-2 run in that lasted over five minutes. That scoring run turned a 47-46 deficit into a 58-49 lead for the Bulls with a little more than five minutes remaining.

Sharkey was key in the second half turnaround, scoring 14 of her team-high 26 points in the second half. She also added eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks and two steals. She converted five of her eight field goal attempts and went 4 of 7 from the line. The team went to the line 18 times in the second half after not going to the line at all in the first half.

Senior forward Christa Baccas played all 40 minutes, scoring 11 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Off the bench, junior Mackenzie Loesing finished with 12 points on 4-of-15 shooting, five rebounds, and four assists.

The Bulls will look to maintain their winning streak at home in Alumni Arena, as they host Bowling Green (9-12, 2-8 MAC) on Saturday. Tipoff is at 2 p.m.