The grapevine

The weekly breakdown of Buffalo's local music calendar

The grapevine is a weekly concert comprehensive seeking to bring all the latest and greatest Buffalo concerts to your fingertips. In this week’s installment, a diverse lineup of groups is coming to the local scene. From heart-wrenching soul to face-melting heavy metal, there are enough music genres for any kind of music lover.

Monday, Feb. 2

Jonny Craig – Waiting Room

Jonny Craig recently broke out into a solo career, after acting as the front man for four different bands, including Dance Gavin Dance and Emarosa. Craig was reared on soul and gospel music – and today his performances center around his incredible vocal range. At the intimate venue the Waiting Room, the concert will be a raw, emotional venture into a blend of soul and R&B.

Wednesday, Feb. 4

Cherub – Waiting Room

Cherub is a fun, electropop duo from Tennessee. The pair of musicians has recently found widespread popularity, playing at large festivals such as Lollapalooza, Governor’s Ball and Austin City Limits on their first tour in 2012 and 2013. Now, touring their debut album The Year of the Caprese, Cherub is taking their infectious dance grooves to the Waiting Room.

Out of all the concerts on this week’s list, Cherub will offer a performance most like a party.

Thursday, Feb. 5

Antibalas – University at Buffalo, Center for the Arts

A genuine Afrobeat group, Antibalas will be bringing their funky talents to UB. The 12-member group includes a trumpet, trombone, congas and an organ. In a concert filled with rhythmic drums and blaring horns, the performance will feel like a loud orchestral performance. This Brooklyn-based Afrobeat group will be a listening experience completely different from what you’re used to hearing.

Machine Head – Waiting Room

Machine Head is a metal band from Oakland, California. The veteran group has been making music since 1991, and their concert should be a visceral experience. Machine Head is pure metal, making use of heavy electric guitar riffs, pounding drums and full-throated screams – drawing from thrash and groove metal. If you are looking for a harder concert experience, then this will be the one to get your metal head fix.

Friday and Saturday, Feb. 6 and 7

Sam Roberts Band – Town Ballroom

Sam Roberts is a Juno award-winning Canadian musician, who is taking his talents to Town Ballroom on Feb. 6 and 7. He is a rocker, through and through. Sam Roberts will be putting on two electric rock shows on Friday and Saturday. Sam Roberts isn’t a stranger to Buffalo, having played numerous times here on tour. His concerts will pull a large number of diehard fans, able to sing and dance along to every song. If you can make it to even one of his two scheduled dates, his easygoing alt rock will keep you jamming all night.