Quick hits for winter break

Shannon Evans goes up for a lay-up in the Bulls 72-63 loss to St. Bonaventure Wednesday. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Men’s Basketball (4-2)

The Bulls dropped Tuesday’s game 72-63 to St. Bonaventure (5-1) as sophomore guard Shannon Evans led all scorers with 21 points. Buffalo has six games remaining before entering Mid-American Conference play, including a road game against No. 2 Wisconsin (7-1) Dec. 28. Buffalo begins Mid-American Conference play at Miami Ohio (2-5) Jan. 7 and face Western Michigan (5-2) – the defending MAC Champions – twice and Ohio (2-2) in January.

Buffalo also hopes to see its players continue their hot starts. Junior forward Justin Moss is currently leading the Bulls in points (16) and rebounds (10) per game. He averaged 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds as a sophomore.

The trio of Evans, freshman Lamonte Bearden and junior Jarryn Skeete has led the backcourt. Evans is currently second on the team in points per game (15.3), first in assists (4.3) and fifth in rebounds (3.5). Skeete is fourth on the team in scoring (9.3), first in steals with 1.7 per game, and shoots a team-leading 48.1 percent from beyond the arc.

The Bulls next game will be Sunday when they travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to take on Robert Morris (2-5). Tipoff is set for 1 p.m.

Women’s Basketball (3-3)

Four of the next five non-conference games for the Bulls will be on the road. A Dec. 15 matchup against St. Bonaventure is their only home game before conference play begins. Buffalo started 1-3 in MAC competition last season, but finished the season 10-8 in the conference.

Buffalo ranks last in the MAC in scoring defense, allowing 72.8 points per game. One reason for the poor defense is Buffalo’s struggles to hold on to the ball. The Bulls are seventh in the MAC in turnover margin but 10th in the conference in team turnovers, averaging 19.7 per game.

Sophomore forward Alexus Malone leads the team in points (13.2) and rebounds per game (11). Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing is second on the team in scoring with 12.7 points per game, but is currently shooting just 28.8 percent from the floor.

Buffalo’s season will continue on Dec. 15 when they host St. Bonaventure at Alumni Arena at 7 p.m. The team will travel to the New York City/Long Island area to play Manhattan, Friday Dec. 19, and LIU Brooklyn, Sunday Dec. 21. The Bulls host Ohio Jan. 3 to start conference play.

Wrestling (4-3)

Buffalo begins conference play Saturday against Kent State before heading to Chattanooga, Tennessee for the Southern Scuffle January 1. Then, the team heads to Cedar Falls, Iowa for a conference matchup against Northern Iowa.

Classes resume in time for home matches against Missouri (7-0), Feb. 6, and Eastern Michigan (3-1), Feb. 15. At 4-3, the Bulls already surpassed their win total from 2013.