Quick Hits: Men's soccer falls in pivotal MAC game; wrestling opens season 3-1

Sophomore midfielder Nicolai Berry and the men’s soccer team fell 3-0 to West Virginia Saturday. The Bulls are currently fourth in the MAC. Four teams make the conference tournament. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum 

Men’s soccer (5-9-2, 1-1-2 MAC)

Buffalo fell to West Virginia (8-7, 1-2-1 MAC) 3-0 Saturday in its second to last match of the regular season. The Mountaineers scored all three goals before halftime and limited Buffalo to just one shot on goal.

The Bulls conclude the regular season on the road against the top team in the conference, Akron (10-5-1, 3-1 MAC) Saturday at 7 p.m. Buffalo is currently fourth in the conference. Four teams make the MAC Tournament.

Volleyball (14-12, 4-8 MAC)

The Bulls continue to struggle, falling to 2-8 in their last 10 games after being swept over the weekend. Buffalo dropped two matches on the road, losing 3-1 to Miami Ohio (16-8, 9-3 MAC) Friday before a five-set loss to Bowling Green (7-17, 4-8 MAC) Saturday.

Buffalo hosts Kent State (13-12, 5-7 MAC) and Ohio (19-4, 12-0 MAC) at Alumni Arena next weekend. The Bulls face the Golden Flashes Friday and the Bobcats on Saturday. Both matches are set for 7 p.m.

Wrestling (3-1)

In its opening weekend, Buffalo matched its win total from last season as the wrestling team traveled to North Carolina for four dual meets. The Bulls defeated Campbell (0-1) 46-6 in Blues Creek, North Carolina Friday morning before going 2-1 Saturday in Boone, North Carolina. The Bulls narrowly defeated Appalachian State (1-1) 20-18 and dominated Cumberland (0-3) 50-0. Buffalo ended Saturday with a 32-7 loss to Gardner-Webb (2-0).

The Bulls compete in the Oklahoma Gold Classic in Brockport, New York next weekend.