Q and A with Branden Oliver

NFL player and UB all-time rushing leader talks with The Spectrum about his journey

Former Bull and current San Diego Chargers running back Branden Oliver has ran for 371 yards and two touchdowns this season. The Spectrum spoke with Oliver at the men’s basketball team’s exhibition game Thursday night. Courtesy of San Diego Chargers

UB all-time rushing leader and now San Diego Chargers running back attended the men’s basketball team’s exhibition opener Thursday night during the Chargers’ bye week.

Oliver broke out Oct. 5 when he had 182 yards of total offense against the New York Jets and has the fourth most yards of any rookie running back in the NFL. The Spectrum spoke with Oliver at Thursday’s game about his journey.

The Spectrum: What’s it been like to go from an undrafted fourth string running back to a starting back in the NFL?

Branden Oliver: It’s been great, man. It’s been a dream come true. I’m just having some fun with it right now.

TS: What’s the outreach from your former Buffalo teammates and coaches been like?

BO: There’s a lot of support and a lot of fans. It’s all from God. I know it wouldn’t be the same without him. My past teammates and my current teammates have shown support through this whole thing.

TS: What was it like to play against your former teammate Khalil Mack in the NFL?

BO: He’s my brother from another mother. I still get to play him after the bye week again … He tackled me once time in the game. I would’ve had him, but the [defensive back] contained so he had me that time.

TS: What’s it like to come back to Buffalo and be such a celebrity at the basketball game?

BO: I know it comes with the territory. It’s something God has built me up to handle. I’m just trying to stay humble because it’s easy to get a big head in this situation.”