UB students pay $10 to receive a flu shot on campus

Elana Cwass (right), a junior health and human services major, received a flu shot from Stephanie Magnani (left), a junior nursing major, at an open clinic on Tuesday, which were held through Friday. UB students have to pay $10 to receive the vaccine, which covers the cost of the actual vaccine, this year and the year before. Cwass said she was surprised she had to pay the fee, and she said more students would get the vaccine if it was free. Lily Weisberg, The Spectrum

For the second year, UB students have to pay $10 to get a flu shot administered to them through UB’s Student Health Services.

Prior to last year, the $153 Health Service Fee in students’ tuition bill covered the flu shot vaccine, but the office is “no longer able to financially afford to do so,” according to Susan Snyder, director of Student Health Services. But despite the implemented fee, health services didn’t see much of a drop in the number of students getting vaccinated.

The past week, Health Services offered walk-in clinics from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union on North Campus Tuesday and Wednesday and on South Campus Thursday and Friday in the Biomedical Education Building’s lobby.

“The more individuals vaccinated within our community, the less impact the flus season has for all of us,” Snyder said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported flu activity is low across the United States now, but usually picks up in October. The CDC recommends everyone six months or older receive the shot.

The $10 fee can be billed to students’ UB accounts directly or be paid out of pocket, according to Snyder. Students with the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York UB insurance plan will have the fee covered. She said health services is not permitted to bill other insurance plans.

From 2012-13, there were 2,786 students who received the flu shot when there was no fee. Last year, 2,704 students still received the flu shot from health services, according to Snyder.

Snyder said the $10 fee covers the cost of the vaccine itself. The cost of supplies, however, such as syringes, Band-Aids and paperwork, is still covered by the $153 Health Service Fee. Faculty and staff will have to pay $20 for the shot at UB because they do not pay a Health Service Fee. The $20 fee covers the vaccine and supporting supplies.

The fees for the flu shots from Student Health Services costs less compared to major pharmacies and are a small price to pay in order to avoid a potentially significant illness, according to Dr. John Sellick, an associate professor in the Department of Medicine.

The efficacy of the flu shots varies from year to year, Snyder said. Researchers work to match strains of the virus; the effectiveness of the vaccine depends on the accuracy predicted for the particular flu season.

Nichole Siminski, a senior exercise science and psychology major, is required to receive a flu shot because she works at a hospital. She received the shot this year and last at UB.

Siminski said she doesn’t mind paying the fee, though she would prefer it still be covered under the $153 fee she’s already paying.

Sellick said flu shots are reliable, especially in young healthy people who respond well to the vaccine, but if they opt out of the shot and get ill, they’ll typically recover “after a few days of misery.”

Christopher Jacobs, a junior electrical engineering major, said his immune system is too weak to receive the flu shot, but he would if he was able to. He said it is fair for UB to charge students for the shot, but he would understand if students did not want to pay the fee.

“I just think students are upset because it was free before and now you have to pay,” he said.

Pharmacies in Wegmans and Tops provide flu shots for free if your insurance is able to cover it.

Harpreet Khera, a freshman biomedical science major, said it is disappointing that the health insurance that UB provides wouldn’t cover the cost for flu shots, but wasn’t planning on getting vaccinated. Though, if flu shots are free to the public, she thinks that others should take advantage of it.

Namrah Raja, a freshman biomedical science major, also said if flu shots are free, students should get one.

Khera said she still encourages others to get their flu shots, even though she does not plan on getting vaccinated. She said a student’s health should be their “main priority,” and if the vaccine is going to protect someone “from the flu season” then they should get their flu shots as soon as possible.

Anuja Kale, a senior computer science major, said students would probably be more inclined to get the flu shot if it was provided for free, but $10 is a reasonable amount to ask for as well.

Kale said she does not own a car so getting a shot at UB is more convenient than a pharmacy off campus. But if she had the option, she said she would prefer to go to a pharmacy if her insurance covered the cost of the shot.

Students can continue to receive a flu shot by scheduling an appointment in Michael Hall.

Sellick said the best way for the UB community to prevent itself from being diagnosed from the flu this winter, aside from getting the vaccine, is to practice good hygienic habits.

Snyder said the office is anticipating the $10 charge will stay for now, but is also discussing alternatives to pay for the vaccine for next year.

email: news@ubspectrum.com