The Spectrum's Top 5: What you missed this week

Buffalo's best music venues, social networking sites and new opportunities

This week, UB is full of new opportunities for its students, athletes and faculty. DeShawn Henry, a sophomore civil engineering major, spent the summer researching solar disinfection by using a solar lens to heat and disinfect water and hopes to make a difference in the world.
Derek Drocy, The Spectrum
This week, UB is full of new opportunities for its students, athletes and faculty. DeShawn Henry, a sophomore civil engineering major, spent the summer researching solar disinfection by using a solar lens to heat and disinfect water and hopes to make a difference in the world. Derek Drocy, The Spectrum

UB is changing and The Spectrum has taken note. UB is part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s START-UP NY program and will be offering new internships opportunities to students next spring. This year’s women’s soccer team also has an opportunity for greatness and is not the same team they were last year. Students have found a new way to gossip and share experiences through anonymous messaging with Yik Yak. DeShawn Henry, a sophomore civil engineering major, is looking to create a beneficial and easier way to purify water. The Spectrum also reviews the best music venues in the Queen City.

1. Beginning this spring, UB students will be able to intern at businesses new to Buffalo. This opportunity was made possible by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s START-UP NY program. Cuomo announced the relocation of eight new businesses to Buffalo at UB South Campus in July, which will provide intern opportunities for students. According to a 2013 memorandum published by Cuomo’s office, the program will be tax-free and companies part of the program will be given a 10 year tax elimination credit. This will hopefully draw new companies to the program and provide variety for the students. Currently, 51 schools have signed up to be part of the program such as Binghamton University and Canisius College.

2. This season, UB’s women’s soccer team is prepared to erase their losing image from last year. In 2013 the Bulls had the fourth worst record in the Mid-American Conference and won six games the entire season. This year, the Bulls have already surpassed last year’s win total, winning their first six games in September and drawing even with Illinois on Friday. This season, offense has improved with 16 goals sunk out of 11 games. New head coach Shawn Burke is excited for future victories and maybe a MAC championship win. If the Bulls continue this streak, competing in the championship is a possibility.

3. Yik Yak, a new social networking app, has taken over UB and is now a prominent way of anonymously connecting with other students. The app is only a year old, but has gained a lot of fans at colleges around the country. The app allows a person to anonymously post messages on a news feed setting, like Twitter, and connect with others on the site within a five mile radius. The messages range, but mostly are about dorm life, parties and experiences. The app creates an honest forum that can relate students experiences, says Rachel Brous, a sophomore philosophy and psychology major. The app allows students to feel free to say whatever they want without holding back.

4. DeShawn Henry, a sophomore civil engineering major, is creating an alternative way to clean water. Over the summer, Henry and James Jenson, a professor at UB, spent weeks researching and recording effective and inexpensive way to disinfect water. The duo found that the best way was by using solar disinfection. Henry and Jenson discovered the sun’s heat eliminates bacteria and therefore disinfects the water. This approach may seem simple, but Henry’s research has a lot of variations, said Jenson. Henry wants people to know if one has the resources available to them, then they have the ability to do a lot of good for their communities and families.

5. Last week, The Spectrum reviewed the best concert venues in Buffalo. Among the list were well-known venues such as First Niagara Center, which can hold about 19,000 people and is where most national acts would perform if they came to the Queen City. Town Ballroom also made the list and is known for more intimate concerts. Canalside, a summertime favorite, is located by the outside harbor and has become a staple place to be on Thursdays in the summer. No matter what music scene you’re looking for, Buffalo is sure to have a venue for you.