Rushing Rush

Buffalo gets five sacks on Chippewas' quarterback in 20-14 loss in Saturday

Sophomore linebacker Jarrett Franklin sacks Central Michigan quarterback in the third quarter of Buffalo’s 20-14 loss Saturday. The Bulls had a season-high five sacks Saturday. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

The Buffalo football team needed to make a play Saturday.

In the second quarter of its game against Central Michigan, the Chippewas had the ball at the Bulls’ 33-yard line with the opportunity to take a 21-0 lead.

“I just knew that if anybody had to make a play, it had to be me,” said senior safety Adam Redden.

And Redden – who was named Mid-American Conference East Defensive Player of the Week – did make a play, rushing off the edge to knock the ball out of Central Michigan quarterback Cooper Rush’s hand. Redden raced around the Chippewas’ offensive line to recover the ball. Buffalo scored a touchdown 11 plays later.

The play resulted in one of Buffalo’s five sacks in a 20-14 loss Saturday. The Bulls’ pass rush applied pressure to the Chippewas’ offense, helping Buffalo’s struggling secondary allow its fourth fewest passing yards of the season.

“It was an attitude we took,” said junior defensive back Okezie Alozie. “We had an aggressive attitude all throughout the week and it showed up on Saturday.”

The Bulls emphasized blitzing the quarterback during practice because it knew Rush was not good under pressure and in third down situations, according to Redden. The Buffalo coaching staff told Redden and Alozie that the two would be active in the blitzing game.

The Bulls implemented a play called ‘stud,’ that gave Redden and Alozie the option to blitz depending on Central Michigan’s formation. The two combined for 3.5 sacks Saturday. Redden had two and now leads the team with five sacks on the season, while Alozie recorded his first 1.5 sacks of the season.

Alozie used the ‘stud’ to sack Rush on a third down play in the first quarter. Alozie was confident to abandon his coverage and blitz because of what he saw before the snap.

“I knew I had other blitzers inside me so I knew off of that that the [Central Michigan] left tackle would have a hard time reading who he had to pick up,” Alozie said.

Alozie used his speed to run around the Chippewas’ left tackle, grab Rush’s shoulder pads and throw him to the turf. Alozie combined with senior linebacker Lee Skinner to sack Rush again on the next play.

Redden has been an effective pass-rusher from the safety position throughout the past two seasons, registering 9.5 sacks since the beginning of the 2013. After the coaching staff told Alozie he would be blitzing as well Saturday, Redden helped his teammate throughout the week with pass rushing.

Alozie wasn’t confident as a pass rusher at the beginning of the week. Redden gave him confidence.

“I’ve just been watching him and asking him ‘Can you teach me this’ or ‘What should I do in this situation?’ And it turns out it ended up helping me this Saturday,” Alozie said.

Alozie said he took his new assignment seriously because, as a defensive back, he knows how much an effective pass rush helps the secondary.

Being a defensive back, I know what it’s like to just sit back in coverage. It’s hard,” Alozie said. “So me being on the rushing end this past weekend I was like ‘Alright, I’m not going to let those guys down.’”

The Bulls defensive backs often have to rush the quarterback because Buffalo operates out of a 3-3-5 scheme. The scheme’s personnel include three defensive lineman, three linebackers and five defensive backs. Because the scheme has fewer lineman and linebackers – positions that normally rush the quarterback – the defensive backs have to apply pressure as well.

“The 3-3-5 defense is definitely a scheme where you need versatile players,” Redden said.

Redden said defensive backs in the 3-3-5 are heavier than most players at the position. This is because they must be able to take on offensive lineman to rush the passer and stop the run. 3-3-5 linebackers must be lighter to have the speed to cover wide receivers and tight ends down the field.

“It’s definitely a scheme where if you don’t have the players it definitely hurts you,” Redden said. “The five defensive backs are a vital piece for the defense because you have to be a versatile player who can be powerful and effective in the run game, but also skilled enough to cover people.”

The Bulls also got pressure from their 3-3-5 linebackers Saturday, as sophomore Jarrett Franklin got his first sack of the season. Franklin replaced former Bull and current Oakland Raider Khalil Mack at the outside linebacker position. Before Saturday, the sophomore had failed to generate the same pressure as Mack once did.

Redden said the sack helped Franklin’s confidence.

“It definitely [meant a lot to him], just so it can get him back to his groove knowing he’s a good dominant player,” Redden said. “That set him off from there to come back and make good plays throughout the game.”

Kyril Threats, a transfer from Erie County Community College in his first season with the team, has been Buffalo’s most productive pass rushing linebacker. The junior did not register a sack Saturday but is second on the team with three sacks.

Buffalo’s secondary has struggled throughout the season. The defense has allowed more 320 passing yards in a game three times, and allows an average of 18 yards per completion. Both Redden and Alozie acknowledged the pass rush must do its part to help the secondary.

I’m going to make sure I get [to the quarterback] so if [our secondary] does mess up, I’ll get there before [the opposing offense] can even realize it,” Alozie said.

The pass rush generated two turnovers Saturday: Redden’s forced fumble and Buffalo’s second interception of the season. Senior safety Witney Sherry intercepted Rush’s pass in the third quarter when the Chippewas’ quarterback was under pressure.

“There’s two types of interceptions: Cover interceptions or pass rush interceptions,” Redden said. “Pressure breeds turnovers through forced fumbles and picks.”

The Bulls will look to generate more turnovers through their pass rush when they play at Ohio (4-5, 2-3 MAC), who averages 222.6 passing yards per game, Nov. 5. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m.