Quick Hits: Dougall ties shutout record as women's soccer remains unbeaten in MAC play

Freshman midfielder Alex Lambert chases after a loose ball in Buffalo’s 1-0 win over Central Michigan. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Women’s soccer (10-2-3, 6-0-2 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls remain at the top of the MAC after a pair of shutout victories this weekend against Central Michigan (3-11-1, 1-6 MAC), 1-0, Friday and Toledo (6-9-1, 3-5 MAC), 3-0, Sunday. With two shutouts this weekend, freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall tied the program record for shutouts in a season with 10. Sophomore forward Celina Carrero scored three goals this weekend, including the game-winner in Friday’s game and two scores against the Rockets Sunday. Buffalo’s current eight-game unbeaten streak is the team’s longest since 1998.

The Bulls finish out their regular season with three home games, including two next weekend against Ball State (8-4-2, 4-3 MAC) and Miami Ohio (12-2-1, 6-1-1 MAC). Buffalo hosts the Cardinals Friday at 5 p.m. before playing the RedHawks on Sunday at noon.

Men’s soccer (3-8-2, 0-0-2 MAC)

After falling to Lafayette (5-6-2, 1-3-0 Patriot League) 1-0 in a nonconference game Tuesday, the Bulls finished off their weekend with a 1-1 tie against Bowling Green (9-3-0, 0-1-0 MAC) Saturday. Buffalo found itself down 1-0 in the 19th minute of play after a Bulls defender accidently headed the ball into his own net. Buffalo responded four minutes later with a goal by sophomore midfielder Sean Young. Neither team scored in the overtime periods, giving the Bulls their second consecutive MAC draw of the season.

The Bulls play St. Bonaventure (1-9, 0-3 Atlantic 10 Conference) Tuesday before returning to MAC play against Northern Illinois (0-0-1, 2-5-5 MAC) Saturday. The games will be Buffalo’s final home matches of the season. Tuesday’s match is set for 7 p.m. and Saturday’s has yet to be determined.

Volleyball (13-9, 3-5 MAC)

The Bulls lost to MAC-leader Northern Illinois (14-7, 7-0 MAC) Saturday 3-1 after losing by the same score to Western Michigan (13-8, 5-2 MAC) Friday. Saturday’s defeat was Buffalo’s third consecutive conference loss, and its fifth loss in the last six MAC matches after beginning the conference season 2-0. Buffalo got off to a quick start on Saturday, winning its first set 25-23. But a three-set rally by Northern Illinois resulted in a 3-1 loss. On Friday, Buffalo found itself trialing two sets to none. The Bulls forced a fourth set after a 25-17 decision, but fell 25-16 in the fourth set.

Freshman libero Niki Bozinoski had 31 digs over the weekend and junior middle blocker Akeila Lain led the team with 28 kills. Buffalo hosts Eastern Michigan (11-9, 2-4 MAC) Friday and Central Michigan (8-11, 3-4 MAC) Saturday. Friday’s match is set for 7 p.m. and Saturday’s starts at 7:30 p.m.