Bulls sweep weekend play with victories over Central Michigan and Toledo

Buffalo goes 2-0 on weekend, remains undefeated in MAC

Sophomore forward Celina Carrero, shown here against Drexel on Aug 31, had three goals this weekend for the Bulls. Buffalo went 2-0 over the weekend and is unbeaten in eight MAC games this season.
Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Sophomore forward Celina Carrero, shown here against Drexel on Aug 31, had three goals this weekend for the Bulls. Buffalo went 2-0 over the weekend and is unbeaten in eight MAC games this season. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

The women’s soccer team came into the weekend looking to continue its hot streak; a streak that included six games without a loss.

After consecutive shutouts by freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall this weekend, the Bulls extended their unbeaten streak to eight, four shy of a program record.

The Bulls (10-2-3, 6-0-2 Mid-American Conference) defeated Central Michigan (3-11-1, 1-6-0 MAC) and Toledo (6-9-1, 3-5-0 MAC) on the road, retaining their place at the top of the MAC. With two shutouts this weekend, Dougall tied the program record for shutouts in a season with 10. Sophomore forward Celina Carrero scored three goals on the weekend.

“I think we played our best soccer out there [on the road],” said head coach Shawn Burke. “We defeated a tough Toledo team. Overall, I would call this weekend a success.”

Buffalo faced Central Michigan Friday night and came away with a 1-0 victory. Carrero scored the game’s only goal with 5:30 remaining in the first half. The defense allowed just four shots to Central Michigan.

“Our defense was key the entire weekend,” Burke said. “I thought we did a great job of stepping up in that area. The entire group did well.”

The offense gave the defense more support Sunday against Toledo, scoring two goals in the first period en route to a 3-0 victory.

Carrero scored a career-best two goals, while senior midfielder Megan Abman scored the other goal to keep Buffalo undefeated in conference play. Buffalo took the lead 14 minutes into the game courtesy of Carrero’s first goal, and held a 2-0 lead with less than two minutes remaining in the first half. Carrero gave Buffalo a 3-0 lead in the 87th minute to seal the victory.

“Celina was excellent this weekend on offense,” Burke said. “The team appeared to be in a bit of an offensive rut this weekend, but that didn’t stop her at all. Three goals in two games was great to see from her, and I would like to see that continue.”

Even with the team’s success this season, Burke said he would like to see the team improve in at least one aspect.

“I would like to see more of a killer instinct from this team,” Burke said. “There were times where I wanted them to step on the gas a bit. You never want to leave a talented team like Toledo with a chance to get back into the game. It has yet to bite us yet, but I would like for us to show more killer instinct, because I know we’ll need it.”

The Bulls return home to UB Stadium for their final three games of the regular season. Buffalo hosts Ball State (8-4-2, 4-3 MAC) Friday at 5 p.m. before playing Miami Ohio (11-2-1, 5-1-1 MAC) on Sunday at noon.