Buffalo bred

Homegrown student-athletes reflect on decision to play at UB

Senior safety Adam Redden played for local high school St. Francis before
deciding to play for the Buffalo football team. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
Senior safety Adam Redden played for local high school St. Francis before deciding to play for the Buffalo football team. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Junior quarterback Joe Licata could see the flashing lights of UB Stadium on game days from the back window of his childhood home. His father, Joe Licata Sr., was friends with former men’s basketball head coach Reggie Witherspoon.

Licata knew he wanted to play for the Bulls since he started regularly attending UB football and basketball games as a child.

The quarterback was a highly touted Western New York prospect coming out of high school. As a senior at Williamsville High School, he threw 2,573 yards and 34 touchdowns to earn The Buffalo News Player of the Year in 2010.

He had offers from larger programs like Syracuse and North Carolina, but Licata choose UB. It offered an intangible that other schools could not.

“The people that come up to you and tell you that they’re happy you stayed and played for the hometown team, it doesn’t get any more satisfying than that,” Licata said. “The Buffalo community is passionate. You’re not going to see this atmosphere in other cities.”

Student-athletes have a variety of reasons for deciding where to attended college. For several Buffalo native student athletes, the decision to come to UB was based on a desire to play for their hometown team.

Senior women’s soccer midfielder Courtney Mann, who attended Frontier High School, has been an avid supporter of Buffalo sports her entire life. When she came to UB for a soccer clinic in 2010, former Buffalo head coach Michael Thomas told her, “You have the ability to change people’s perspective of Buffalo.” She said coming to UB as a way to do that.

Senior men’s basketball forward Will Regan wanted the same thing. Regan excelled at Nichols School, earning the 2010 New York State Class A Player of the Year award and was a two-time Buffalo News Player of the Year. He decided to attend Virginia on a basketball scholarship and declined UB’s offer.

Regan missed home while at Virginia, often yearning for his Sunday tradition: Going to Buffalo Wild Wings and watching Buffalo Bills games. He transferred back home to join the UB basketball team after his freshman year.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Regan had to sit out his first year at UB. He still had three years of eligibility, but couldn’t begin playing until the 2012-13 season. For Regan, sitting was worth it.

“I wasn’t happy at Virginia,” Regan said. “My parents knew I wasn’t happy, so when I told them I was transferring, they fully supported me. I knew I would have to sit out a year before playing, but having the luxury of being close to home was a nice incentive.”

Regan missed the 2011-12 season. In his first season for the Bulls in 2012-2013, he was given the opportunity to start for the first time in his college career. Regan has started all but two games since beginning his Buffalo career and finished third on the team last year in points last season (10.6 per game).

Senior safety Adam Redden saw the benefits of playing for his hometown school as well. Redden, from Amherst, regularly attended UB football clinics and games while playing at St. Francis High School. He started and maintained a close relationship with many UB coaches and players.

Ultimately, he decided to choose UB for its nationally lauded pharmacy program, along with the incentive of playing for the football team.

Redden always dreamt of being the hometown hero growing up. The chance to play for Buffalo has given him that opportunity.

“I walk around town and see the locals that recognize me, telling me ‘good game’ or asking me for Bulls tickets,” Redden said. “Growing up, I always wished a player from the local team would come and talk to us and give us a word of advice. It feels good that I can give back. I remember being in there shoes.”

Redden’s friends and family, and even people he has never met with now pack the bleachers at UB Stadium to see him play.

“There are people that I’ve known since I was 5 that want to come see me play,” Redden said. “You’re not going to find that in most cities.”

Mann said Buffalo’s residents are instilled with a passion for their city at a young age.

“UB is a school that [we’ve] been around [our] whole life,” Mann said. “When you have supporters from the area come out and watch your games, it’s truly a surreal feeling. When you live in Buffalo, you’re taught to love where you grow up.”