Bowling for revenge: UB to play Bowling Green Saturday

Bulls take on Falcons looking to avenge last season's loss

Falcons’ junior running back Travis Greene
has ran for 466 yards and six touchdowns
this season. The Bulls travel to Bowling Green to
face the Falcons Saturday. Courtesy of BGSU Athletics.
Falcons’ junior running back Travis Greene has ran for 466 yards and six touchdowns this season. The Bulls travel to Bowling Green to face the Falcons Saturday. Courtesy of BGSU Athletics.

Bowling Green ended Buffalo’s – arguably the most talented in team in the football team’s history – chances at a Mid-American Conference championship last season.

The Falcons defeated the Bulls 24-7 in what was essentially a MAC East Championship game Nov. 29. Bowling Green went on to defeat No. 16 Northern Illinois 47-27 for the conference title.

“All summer that’s what our motivation was,” said senior left guard Andre Davis. “When Bowling Green beat us, that took away our title shot and that’s what we want this year.”

The Bulls (3-2, 1-0 MAC) travel to Bowling Green, Ohio this weekend to face the reigning MAC-champion Falcons (3-2, 1-0 MAC). But Buffalo will play a much different Bowling Green team Saturday than in previous seasons.

After leaning on a strong defense under previous head coach Dave Clawson, the Falcons have been relying on their offense to cover for their suspect defense this season under first-year head coach Dino Babers.

Bowling Green allowed MAC teams to score just 12 points a game over the previous two seasons. The Falcons surrendered 42 points to UMass (0-5, 0-1 MAC) last week in their first conference game.

“Their defense has been the reason they’ve been so successful [in the past],” said head coach Jeff Quinn. “Certainly they’re now having to outscore opposing offenses.”

The Falcons are are giving up the fifth most points per game in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) this season. Bowling Green graduated Ted Ouellet, its 2013 sacks leader, BooBoo Gates, who was tied for first in interceptions last season and Aaron Foster, who led the Falcons in pass breakups.

Senior defensive back Ryland Ward, who tied for the team lead in interceptions last season, missed the Falcons’ previous game against UMass with an injury. Senior linebacker D.J. Lynch, Bowling Green’s leading tackler in 2013, has played in only two games this season due to injury.

Bowling Green’s offense has also been hit with injuries.

The Falcons lost senior quarterback and preseason All-MAC first-team selection Matt Johnson to a season-ending hip injury in their season-opening 59-31 loss to Western Kentucky (2-2, 0-1 Conference USA).

But the loss of Johnson hasn’t seemed to hinder the Falcons’ pass-happy offensive approach. Sophomore quarterback James Knapke averages 47 passes a game, including a season-high 73 throws in a 45-42 victory over Indiana (2-2, 0-1 Big Ten) on Sept. 13.

Knapke has been productive, throwing for 1,238 yards and seven touchdowns in four games as a starter. He also takes a few gambles with his passes and has thrown six interceptions.

Knapke’s top target is a freshman wide receiver Roger Lewis, who has 44 receptions, 582 yards and three touchdowns. His “speed is very evident on film,” Quinn said.

The Falcons’ ground attack is led by preseason All-MAC first-team selection junior running back Travis Greene, who was the only running back in the conference to run for more yards (1,594) than former Bull Branden Oliver (1,535) last season.

Greene has begun this year with 466 yards and six touchdowns. Bowling Green “wants to throw the ball but then they get closer to the goal line they want to run the ball a little bit more,” Quinn said.

The Falcons run a quick tempo offense similar to Baylor’s, according to Quinn, and Bowling Green and Buffalo are similar teams.

“When you really look at these [Buffalo and Bowling Green’s] offenses, they’re very comparable in a lot of respects,” Quinn said. “When I talk about defense, that’s probably the biggest focus. I’m sure they’re discussing it just as equally as we are.”

The Bulls and the Falcons both score more than 33 points a game and allow more than 34 points. Buffalo improved its defense in recent weeks, giving up just seven points to Norfolk State (1-4, 0-1 Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference) Sept. 13 and keeping Miami Ohio out of rhythm last week by forcing 26 incompletions.

Buffalo’s offense has been consistent all season with the guidance of junior quarterback Joe Licata, who was thrown for 14 touchdowns and 1,375 yards.

Junior running back Anthone Taylor emerged last week with a career-high 222 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Taylor will have to carry the load again Saturday, as sophomore running back Jordan Johnson will miss his second straight game with a knee injury.

Buffalo has faced Bowling Green in the season finale for three straight years – all losses. The Bulls have not defeated the Falcons since Quinn’s first year in 2010. Quinn believes having a game against Bowling Green early in the season will allow his team to evaluate itself.

“Anytime you get a chance to compete against a program that has faired out very well over the last few years,” Quinn said. “I think all of us as a program recognize how important it is to have a great week and get measured up.”

This is only Buffalo’s second road game this season. The Bulls lost 47-39 at Army (1-3) on Sept. 6.

Quinn said his team “certainty didn’t fare out too well” in their first road game, but his team has “learned from that experience.”

Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. at Doyt Perry Stadium. The game will be shown on ESPN3.

Buffalo at Bowling Green (-5.5): Staff predictions

Owen O’Brien, Managing Editor

@owenobri (5-0): Bowling Green

Buffalo is 5-20 on the road since 2010. Its last upset victory on the road came in 2010. The 5.5 points isn’t enough to scare me away.

Tom Dinki, Senior Sports Editor

@tomdinki (5-0): Buffalo

This is not the same BG team from year’s past. The Bulls and Falcons are mirror images of each other: Score a lot; give up a lot. Win or lose, Buffalo beats the spread in close game.

Andy Koniuch, Sports Editor

@andykoniuch (4-1): Buffalo

The Bulls’ offense has been surging and will continue to do so heading into Saturday. Taylor is running for 150-plus yards.

Jordan Grossman, Asst. Sports Editor

@jordangrossman (5-0): Buffalo

I believe the Falcons will win this game, but it’s going to be a close matchup all day. Bowling Green will not cover the 5.5-point spread.