West-Coast woes commence UB Bulls men's soccer season

Season starts with two losses in California

Sophomore midfielder Nicolai Berry and the men’s soccer team dropped their first two games of this season this weekend. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum 

The men’s soccer team opened its season this weekend with two games in San Diego, California with hopes of improving from its losing record (3-11-4) last year. Buffalo is looking to its core of young players, including reining Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Russell Cicerone, to help the team improve and compete this season.

The young and inexperienced players might still need further development, as Buffalo dropped its first two games of the season.

The Bulls (0-2) were contained this weekend, dropping Friday’s game 4-1 to San Diego (1-0) and following this performance with a 1-0 loss to San Diego State (1-1) Sunday.

The Bulls lead 1-0 at halftime Friday, but things began to unravel in the second half.

Sophomore midfielder Braden Culver scored on a free-kick pass from junior forward Marcus Hanson near the 15-minute mark for Buffalo’s lone goal. There were few opportunities to score after, as the Bulls were outshot 24-4, and had only one corner kick against the Toreros’ 11.

Two of San Diego’s goals came within the first two minutes of the second half. Dave Musambi tied the game at one and Connor Brandt scored 40 seconds later off a penalty kick.

The Toreros scored two goals in the final 10 minutes of the game to seal the victory. Buffalo freshman goalkeeper Cameron Hogg saved 8 out of 12 shots in his Bulls’ debut.

“It’s was a mental letdown,” Riddle said. “We were organized in the first half and able to contain them well. We didn’t allow many opportunities for them at all. But in the second half, it was hard to recover from two goals being scored within a matter of minute.”

The Bulls remained in California Sunday and traveled to San Diego State. Buffalo’s offense stalled again and was shutout 1-0. Both teams had nine shots, but just one Buffalo’s was on goal.

At the sixth minute mark of the match, Hanson’s corner kick found the head of sophomore defender Austin Place, but the shot rattled off the crossbar.

Forrayah Bass had the only goal of the match at the 62nd minute mark with a blast from the middle of the box into the bottom left of the net. It was enough to give San Diego the victory.

Senior goalkeeper Waleed Cassis started the game for Buffalo and recorded two saves.

“There were so many opportunities and it’s frustrating that we were unable to finish on any of them,” Riddle said.

Riddle said he hopes the team can recoup and boost its morale before the home opener Friday against Bryant (0-1). The game is set for 7 p.m. at UB Stadium.