Quick Hits: Women's soccer breaks program record for shutout streak to start season; Volleyball wins USF Invite

Junior middle blocker Amber Hatchett and the volleyball team won the USF Invite this weekend.
Wenyi Yang, The Spectrum
Junior middle blocker Amber Hatchett and the volleyball team won the USF Invite this weekend. Wenyi Yang, The Spectrum

Quick Hits: Women’s soccer breaks program record for shutout streak to start season; Volleyball wins USF Invite

Volleyball (4-3)

The Bulls won the University of South Florida Invite this weekend. Buffalo lost its first match to South Florida (1-4) Friday 3-2, but won two matches on Saturday to win the tournament. Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop was named tournament MVP, as she recorded 51 kills and 39 digs over the weekend. Buffalo travels to Chicago for the University of Illinois Chicago Tournament this weekend.

Men’s soccer (1-3)

Buffalo got its first victory of the season Friday, 3-2, against Bryant (1-2) after sophomore midfielder Russell Cicerone scored the game-winning goal in double overtime from midfield. The ball blasted all the way from Cicerone’s foot at midfield to over the top of the Bulldogs’ goalkeeper and right below the crossbar. Freshman defender David Enstrom tied the game at two with a goal in the 88th minute.

The Bulls fell 2-0 to Bucknell (3-2) at home on Sunday. Buffalo will be on the road next weekend with matches against Niagara (1-3) Friday and Canisius (1-2) on Sunday. Both games are set for 7 p.m.

Women’s soccer (4-0-1)

The Bulls set the program record for longest shutout streak to a start season (470 minutes) when they defeated Niagara (2-1-1) 2-0 Sunday. Freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall left the game with an injury after a Purple Eagles player undercut her.

Buffalo will face the No. 5 team in the country, Virginia Tech (5-0), on the road Friday at 4 p.m.

email:sports@ubspectrum.com