Quick Hits: Opening Weekend Recap

Women's soccer remains unbeaten, Volleyball splits weekend tournament

Senior forward Katie Roberts scored the Bulls’ game-winning goal over Drexel on Sunday. Buffalo is undefeated this season and has yet to allow a goal. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Women’s soccer (3-0-1)

After a 0-0 tie against Duquesne (1-1-1) Friday, the Bulls capped off the weekend with a 1-0 victory over Drexel (1-2) at UB Stadium. Senior forward Katie Roberts’ goal in 57th minute propelled the Bulls to their third victory of the season.

Buffalo has not allowed a goal in its first four games of the season. Freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall has four shutouts in her first four career games, which is the longest streak by a freshman to open the season in Buffalo history. The Bulls travel to Niagara (2-0) Sunday. The match begins at 7 p.m.

Volleyball (2-2)

Buffalo opened its season splitting four matches in this weekend’s UB Invite at Alumni Arena and all four matches were decided in three sets. Buffalo fell to Lehigh (2-2) on Friday before defeating Sienna and Canisius (0-3) Saturday.

The Bulls ended the tournament with a loss to Ole Miss (4-0). After tallying nine straight points for a 9-2 lead, it appeared the Bulls would take the first set over the Rebels. But Ole Miss rallied and won the first set 28-26 and took the next two sets 25-22 and 25-18. Buffalo travels south this weekend for three matches in the USF Tournament, beginning with South Florida (1-2). The match is set for Friday at 2 p.m.

Men’s soccer (0-2)

Despite an impressive preseason that featured three wins, the Bulls are still searching for their first victory of the regular season after the opening weekend. The Bulls lost 1-0 to San Diego State (1-1) Sunday. The defeat came after Friday’s 4-1 loss to San Diego (1-0), in which Buffalo took a 1-0 lead into halftime but allowed four second half goals. Buffalo will try to rebound in its home opener against Bryant (1-1) Friday at UB Stadium. The game is set for 7 p.m.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com