Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Bulls swept by MAC-leading Miami Ohio

Baseball team experiences fourth straight loss

The baseball team has found itself in a familiar situation. Three straight games have resulted in three straight losses, this time from Mid-American Conference leading Miami Ohio (26-25, 15-9 MAC).

The Bulls (22-22, 12-11 MAC) lost 5-4 on Sunday. Buffalo threatened in the ninth inning - loading the bases - but failed to score. Friday's game was postponed due to rain and pushed into Saturday, resulting in a 9-8 11-inning loss. Saturday's normally scheduled game ensued, and the Bulls fell 9-7. The weekend marks the fourth consecutive loss for UB.

Friday's extended game marked what would have been one of Buffalo's biggest comebacks of the year. The Redhawks took advantage of several UB errors resulting in five unanswered and a 8-3 deficit.

The Bulls, however, managed to record five runs in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game at eight. Sophomore infielder Tyler Mautner started the Bulls' rally with a two run home run to bring in senior outfielder Matt Pollock. Freshman outfielder Vinny Mallaro singled up the middle to score senior Mike Burke, before freshman infielder Chris Kwitzer hit a two-RBI double.

Not only was Buffalo fighting against the Redhawks Sunday evening, but also the wind. Gusts of wind reached 30 miles per hour.

After a 10-minute delay, the game was postponed into Saturday, but Buffalo failed to capitalize on a bases loaded opportunity in the 11th inning. The Redhawks hit a two-out double and a single to score the game-winning run.

Buffalo began the ensuing game with a large deficit - 8-2 after six innings. But after back-to-back doubles from senior outfielder Jimmy Topps and sophomore outfielder Nick Sinay, the Bulls cut the game to 8-4.

Mautner doubled to left field in the eighth inning to pull the game to 8-7. The Redhawks added an insurance run in the ninth and hit six doubles and three home runs in the game en route to the victory.

On Sunday, a Buffalo comeback was prevented with the bases loaded, this time falling 5-4 in nine innings.

The Bulls continue play Tuesday in a doubleheader against Big 4 rival St. Bonaventure (11-28, 5-15 Atlantic 10 Conference), with the final games of the regular season rapping up against Bowling Green (23-23, 14-11 MAC) Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Tuesday's doubleheader begins at 2 p.m. Thursday's game against Bowling Green begins at 3 p.m., with Friday's and Saturday's set for 1 p.m.

This weekend's games against Bowling Green are crucial for the Bull's chances of earning a spot in the MAC tournament, as the team has fallen to fourth place, just behind Bowling Green.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com