Quick Hits

Tennis teams fall in MAC Tournaments, Gallardo and Speckman set all-time records

Men's tennis (12-8, 2-4 Mid-American Conference)

Buffalo lost the MAC Tournament championship match, 4-3 to No. 2 Ball State (14-11, 4-2 MAC) on Saturday. The match was the Bulls' third championship loss in the past five years. With the match tied 3-3, the championship came down to sophomore Pablo Alvarez at No. 3 singles. The match would require a tiebreaker, where Alvarez fell 9-7. The Bulls defeated MAC regular season champion Northern Illinois (18-6, 4-1 MAC) 4-2 in the semifinals to advance to the championship.

Women's tennis (15-6, 6-4 MAC)

After defeating Toledo (14-7, 5-4 MAC) 4-1 in the quarterfinals Friday, Buffalo was eliminated from the MAC Tournament by top-seeded Miami Ohio (17-6, 9-1 MAC) Saturday, 4-0. Senior Anamaria Candanoza clinched the quarterfinal victory for the Bulls with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at fifth singles. She was then named to the All-MAC Tournament team. The MAC semifinal appearance was the Bulls' first since 2010.

Baseball (20-16, 11-6 MAC)

The Bulls swept Akron (21-21, 9-9 MAC) this weekend in a three-game series at Amherst Audubon Field. The Bulls snapped a four-game losing streak with a 3-2 victory over the Zips in the first game. On Saturday, senior outfielder Jimmy Topps and sophomore outfielder Nick Sanay combined for five of Buffalo's six runs en route to a 6-3 victory. The Bulls pulled within half a game of MAC East-leading Kent State (27-16, 12-6 MAC) with an 11-6 blowout Sunday. The Bulls' next game is a doubleheader at Niagara (12-22, 6-8 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) on Tuesday at 2 p.m. The Bulls resume MAC play next weekend at Ohio (8-31, 4-14 MAC) for a three-game series.

Softball (25-20, 9-5 MAC)

The Bulls went 4-0 this weekend, all MAC victories, by sweeping their doubleheader against Western Michigan (16-31, 7-11 MAC) Friday, and a two-game series against Northern Illinois (20-27, 8-10 MAC). In the second game of the doubleheader against the Broncos, senior infielder Sammi Gallardobecame Buffalo's all-time career leader in home runs (29), hitting three for the day. Senior pitcher Tori Speckman became the program's all-time leader in wins (43) with her performance on Sunday against the Huskies. Speckman gave up just four hits and two earned runs in the 6-2 victory.

The Bulls finish the regular season on the road at Kent State (24-16, 10-4 MAC). Saturday's first pitch is set for 2 p.m. and Sunday's game begins at 1 p.m.

Men's lacrosse (7-6, 1-4 Pioneer Collegiate Lacrosse League)

The Bulls ended the regular season by defeating Rhode Island (5-6, 0-5 PCLL) and Ohio (5-6, 3-3 Central Collegiate Lacrosse Association) this weekend at Kunz Field. After falling behind 1-0 to the Bobcats on Sunday, senior midfielder Anthony Ramat responded with an equalizer. The goal was the first of eight unanswered tallies for Buffalo en route to an 11-4 victory. Senior attack Ryan Sans capped off a hat trick with a bounce shot with 4:39 left in the second half. The Bulls play in the quarterfinal match of the PCLL Tournament in Providence, R.I. May 1 at noon.