Spicing up Saturday night with a taste of tango

From the seats in the theater, viewers could hear the dancers whispering words of encouragement to one another as they twirled and stepped around the stage.

On Saturday night, Tango Fire, a dance group from Buenos Aires, came to UB's Center For the Arts to perform their show Flames of Desire.

The show featured 10 dancers, one singer and a quartet of musicians who transformed tango into not only a dance, but also an engaging experience for the audience.

"I was mesmerized by their abilities," said Carol Park, a Buffalo native. "I couldn't believe they were moving so quickly, and how effortless it all appeared."

The show was comprised of 26 choreographed routines and two musical interludes. Singular dancers, a pair of dancers or the entire company performed the routines that were more than just dance routines. The CFA stage was complete with a small set in the background, providing an environment for the act. As some dancers performed, others were constantly engaged in dialogue and a storyline.

The first half of the show was filled with group dances to showcase the partner-work of tango, as well as formations within the performance. At times, the entire company would be doing the same routine, while at other times, each couple would be doing something slightly different from the other four.

Though there was plenty of partner-work, there were also routines performed only by men or only by women. In each, the genders were able to showcase how the two differ from one another. Male tango is more footwork-based, utilizing small steps and careful placement. Women's tango is more "showcase" based, or intended to show off certain aspects of a woman's body or a specific skill. This is why women tend to be the ones lifted and moved around - to highlight the woman's features.

The second half included routines that featured each couple individually. One of the five couples would come onto the stage and showcase themselves to impress the audience. This half of the show featured many more lifts, dips and generally dangerous actions.

"I found myself at the edge of my seat," said 19-year-old Amanda Waterman of Rochester. "I couldn't believe the men were tossing the women around like that; I almost expected to see someone fall. The more advanced moves definitely keep the audience's attention."

True to tango culture, the evening was filled with many costume changes - each woman's dress more sparkling and beautiful than the last. Similar to classic tango dresses, each was designed to accent the legs and back of the dancer, gleaming under the spotlight, highlighting the performer.

"The dress is my favorite part - I feel so beautiful and confident when I wear it!" said dancer Melody Celatti. "Of course I love tango and dancing with [my partner], Gonzalo, and being with everyone, but something about the dresses we get to wear makes dancing so much more special."

Tango Fire Company was established in 2005 and has become internationally recognized for its performances. The company first showcased at the Edinburgh Film Festival, where they were highly successful.

German Cornejo, a performer, also choreographed the show. He works closely on the group acts, but he allows duos to use their own routines and will merely refine some of their steps.

Dancers in the company have been training in the art of tango for many years and many of the couples featured in the show have been partners for a long time, giving them the chance to perfect their timing with one another and create a flawless routine filled with chemistry.

Sebastian Alvarez and Victoria Saudelli, for example, have been partners since 2000 and have toured the United States, UK, Russia and Central and South America.

Aside from the dancers, Jesus Hidalgo sang throughout the evening. He performs in Buenos Aires and countries all over the world. As a soloist, he was featured at the International Festival of Tango in Granada, Spain. He joined Tango Fire in 2010 hoping to add his voice as an integral part of the show.

The other musical aspect of Tango Fire is the Quarteto Fuego, four musicians who created all of the music for the show. Each musician not only has an extensive background of musical education, but has also toured in countries all over the world. The group consists of Clemente Carrascal on bandoneon, Estephania Corsini on violin, Matias Feigin on piano and Facundo Benavidez on the contrabass.

Throughout Tango Fire, the quartet played the tango music for the dancers, and they showcased their own musical talents during breaks.

"Something about the music being live makes the performance that much more exciting," said 20-year-old Julia Neglan of Rochester. "It's not just the way it sounds, but the excitement that if they were to mess up, they also have an effect of the dancers."

But the music never faltered, and neither did the dancers.

Once the show was over, the performers received a well-deserved standing ovation from the crowd.

Tango Fire is continuing its tour in Montreal. The Barenaked Ladies perform at the CFA Wednesday.